This is the third Scripture Roundtable from The Interpreter Foundation, in which we discuss chapters 3 Nephi 12-14 from The Book of Mormon, bringing in various insights to help us better understand these scriptures.
Panelists for this roundtable include Andrew Smith, Daniel Peterson, and Taunalyn Rutherford.
Questions for Next Week: Next week we will discuss 3 Nephi 15-19. We want these discussions to be interactive. Please submit any questions you have that you’d like the Interpreter Scripture Roundtable to address in these chapters. You can simply leave a comment below, or through the contact form. Please submit your questions by Tuesday, October 16th.
This roundtable is also available as an audio podcast, and will be included in the podcast feed. You can listen by pressing the play button or download the podcast below:
Podcast: Download (Duration: 37:19 — 12.8MB)
Enjoyed it, thanks.
There is a lot more to say about the Beatitudes. For instance, the seven blessings promised correspond to the climax of the ordinance the participants are beginning.
1. The kingdom of heaven = entry into the Holy of Holies.
2. To be comforted (paraklethesontai) = to receive the comforter (paraklete).
3. To inherit the earth = to be dressed by the Lord in garments more glorious than Solomon’s.
4. To hunger and thirst after righteousness and be filled = to eat the feast of bread and wine offered by the Melchizedek priest (cf. Genesis 14:18-20).
5. To obtain mercy = to successfully pass judgment at the veil.
6. To see God is = to see the Lord / Melchizedek descend to offer the feast, and then see him again at the veil.
7. To be called a child of God = to be received by God’s clasping hand at the veil (cf. John 1:12).
Just watched it this morning. I wished you would have gotten more into some of the things Jack Welch covers in his “Illuminating the Sermon on the Mount/at the Temple”. There is so much to cover there, I think it is better to go deep on a few points than just skim the surface on the whole sermon. But I am looking forward to future episodes.