There are many principles to find in 3 Nephi 12–16. Some are highlighted in this outline, but you may find others. Let Heavenly Father, through His Spirit, teach you what you need right now.
3 Nephi 12: Jesus calls and commissions the twelve disciples—He delivers to the Nephites a discourse similar to the Sermon on the Mount—He speaks the Beatitudes—His teachings transcend and take precedence over the law of Moses—Men are commanded to be perfect even as He and His Father are perfect—Compare Matthew 5. About A.D. 34.
3 Nephi 13: Jesus teaches the Nephites the Lord’s Prayer—They are to lay up treasures in heaven—The twelve disciples in their ministry are commanded to take no thought for temporal things—Compare Matthew 6. About A.D. 34.
3 Nephi 14: Jesus commands: Judge not; ask of God; beware of false prophets—He promises salvation to those who do the will of the Father—Compare Matthew 7. About A.D. 34.
3 Nephi 15: Jesus announces that the law of Moses is fulfilled in Him—The Nephites are the other sheep of whom He spoke in Jerusalem—Because of iniquity, the Lord’s people in Jerusalem do not know of the scattered sheep of Israel. About A.D. 34.
3 Nephi 16: Jesus will visit others of the lost sheep of Israel—In the latter days the gospel will go to the Gentiles and then to the house of Israel—The Lord’s people will see eye to eye when He brings again Zion. About A.D. 34.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- The Wise Man and the Foolish Man, Children’s Songbook, 281
- Jacob 4:5
- Matthew 5–7
- Luke 6:20–49
- John 20:26–29
- 2 Nephi 26:12–13
- Alma 32:16–18
- Revelation for the Church, Revelation for Our Lives, President Russell M. Nelson, Ensign or Liahona, May 2018, 95
- Isaiah 55:8–9
- Helaman 10:5
- Moroni 7:26–27, 33, 37
- Doctrine and Covenants 9:7–9
- Be Ye Therefore Perfect—Eventually, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2017, 40–42
- Moroni 10:32–33
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- Labor Diligently to Write: The Ancient Making of a Modern Scripture — Chapters 16-18, Brant A. Gardner
- Scripture Roundtable: Book of Mormon Gospel Doctrine Lesson 40, “Then Will I Gather Them In”, October 11, 2016
- Scripture Roundtable: Book of Mormon Gospel Doctrine Lesson 38, “Old Things Are Done Away, and All Things Have Become New”, October 2, 2016
- Scripture Roundtable: Book of Mormon Gospel Doctrine Lesson 39, “Behold, My Joy Is Full” (2012), October 24, 2012
- Scripture Roundtable: Book of Mormon Gospel Doctrine Lesson 38, “Old Things Are Done Away, and All Things Have Become New” (2012), October 13, 2012
- Gentiles in the Book of Mormon, John Hilton III, September 20, 2019
- “Come unto Me” as a Technical Gospel Term, Noel B. Reynolds, January 4, 2019
- Dissenters: Portraying the Church as Wrong So They can be Right Without It, Brian C. Hales, May 9, 2014
Resources on Other Sites
- What Does It Mean to Be Perfect?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #335
- Why Did Jesus Deliver a Version of the Sermon on the Mount at the Temple in Bountiful?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #203
- Why Is the Lord’s Prayer Different in 3 Nephi?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #204
- Why Must We Beware Wolves in Sheep’s Clothing?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #527
- What Makes 3 Nephi the Holy of Holies of the Book of Mormon?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #206
- Why Did Jesus Say that Some Well-Intentioned People Will Be Told to Depart?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #205
- Why Did Jesus Say That There Were "Other Sheep" Who Would Hear His Voice?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #207
- Why is the Sermon at the Temple Echoed throughout the Rest of 3 Nephi?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #208