In 3 Nephi 8–11, the people heard the voice of God speaking to them. As you read these chapters, pay attention to what His voice says to you.
3 Nephi 8: Tempests, earthquakes, fires, whirlwinds, and physical upheavals attest the crucifixion of Christ—Many people are destroyed—Darkness covers the land for three days—Those who remain bemoan their fate. About A.D. 33–34.
3 Nephi 9: In the darkness, the voice of Christ proclaims the destruction of many people and cities for their wickedness—He also proclaims His divinity, announces that the law of Moses is fulfilled, and invites men to come unto Him and be saved. About A.D. 34.
3 Nephi 10: There is silence in the land for many hours—The voice of Christ promises to gather His people as a hen gathers her chickens—The more righteous part of the people have been preserved. About A.D. 34–35.
3 Nephi 11: The Father testifies of His Beloved Son—Christ appears and proclaims His Atonement—The people feel the wound marks in His hands and feet and side—They cry Hosanna—He sets forth the mode and manner of baptism—The spirit of contention is of the devil—Christ’s doctrine is that men should believe and be baptized and receive the Holy Ghost. About A.D. 34.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- This Is My Beloved Son, Children’s Songbook, 76
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, Christ and the New Covenant , 250–51
- Repent … That I May Heal You, Elder Neil L. Andersen, Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2009, 40
- Gentiles in the Book of Mormon, John Hilton III, September 20, 2019
- “Come unto Me” as a Technical Gospel Term, Noel B. Reynolds, January 4, 2019
- The Gospel According to Mormon, Noel B. Reynolds, June 15, 2018
- The Small Voice, Daniel C. Peterson, November 25, 2016
- “O Ye Fair Ones” — Revisited, Matthew L. Bowen, June 23, 2016
- “The Great and Terrible Judgments of the Lord”: Destruction and Disaster in 3 Nephi and the Geology of Mesoamerica, Neal Rappleye, May 29, 2015
- Founded Upon a Rock: Doctrinal and Temple Implications of Peter’s Surnaming, Matthew L. Bowen, March 7, 2014
- “In the Mount of the Lord It Shall Be Seen” and “Provided”: Theophany and Sacrifice as the Etiological Foundation of the Temple in Israelite and Latter-day Saint Tradition, Matthew L. Bowen, June 21, 2013
- Some Notes on Book of Mormon Names, Stephen D. Ricks, April 19, 2013
Resources on Other Sites
- How Can We Know What to Believe about Joseph Smith’s Personal Character?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #413
- What Caused the Darkness and Destruction in the 34th Year?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #197
- Is there evidence for great destruction in the land northward at the death of Christ?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #530
- Why Did Jesus Tell All People to Sacrifice a Broken Heart and a Contrite Spirit?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #198
- Is There Evidence of Sunken Cities in Ancient America?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #429
- Why Is So Little Said about the Timing of Christ’s Temple Ministry?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #481
- Why Did Jesus Christ Compare Himself to a Hen?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #200
- Is there Precedent for General Conference in the Book of Mormon?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #199
- Why Has 3 Nephi Been Called "the Focal Point, the Supreme Moment" in the Book of Mormon?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #201
- What Can We Learn from the Savior’s First Words at Bountiful?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #341
- Why Did the People Fall Down at the Feet of Jesus?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #202
- Why Did the Lord Quote the Book of Mormon When Reestablishing the Church?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #282
- Why Did Joseph and Oliver Seek Authority to Baptize?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #279
- How Are the Book of Mormon’s Teachings About the Godhead Unique?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #266
- Why Doctrinal Mastery?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #257