The Nephites witnessed miraculous signs, but over time they forgot what they had experienced (see 3 Nephi 2:1). Recording your impressions will help you remember your spiritual experiences while studying 3 Nephi 1–7.
3 Nephi 1: Nephi, the son of Helaman, departs out of the land, and his son Nephi keeps the records—Though signs and wonders abound, the wicked plan to slay the righteous—The night of Christ’s birth arrives—The sign is given, and a new star arises—Lyings and deceivings increase, and the Gadianton robbers slaughter many. About A.D. 1–4.
3 Nephi 2: Wickedness and abominations increase among the people—The Nephites and Lamanites unite to defend themselves against the Gadianton robbers—Converted Lamanites become white and are called Nephites. About A.D. 5–16.
3 Nephi 3: Giddianhi, the Gadianton leader, demands that Lachoneus and the Nephites surrender themselves and their lands—Lachoneus appoints Gidgiddoni as chief captain of the armies—The Nephites assemble in Zarahemla and Bountiful to defend themselves. About A.D. 16–18.
3 Nephi 4: The Nephite armies defeat the Gadianton robbers—Giddianhi is slain, and his successor, Zemnarihah, is hanged—The Nephites praise the Lord for their victories. About A.D. 19–22.
3 Nephi 5: The Nephites repent and forsake their sins—Mormon writes the history of his people and declares the everlasting word to them—Israel will be gathered in from her long dispersion. About A.D. 22–26.
3 Nephi 6: The Nephites prosper—Pride, wealth, and class distinctions arise—The Church is rent with dissensions—Satan leads the people in open rebellion—Many prophets cry repentance and are slain—Their murderers conspire to take over the government. About A.D. 26–30.
3 Nephi 7: The chief judge is murdered, the government is destroyed, and the people divide into tribes—Jacob, an anti-Christ, becomes king of a secret combination—Nephi preaches repentance and faith in Christ—Angels minister to him daily, and he raises his brother from the dead—Many repent and are baptized. About A.D. 30–33.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- I’m Trying to Be like Jesus, Children’s Songbook, 78–79
- Alma 5:6
- O Remember, Remember, President Henry B. Eyring, Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2007, 66–69
- Faith Is Not by Chance, but by Choice, Elder Neil L. Andersen, Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2015, 65–68
- Messages from President Russell M. Nelson and Sister Wendy W. Nelson, Worldwide Devotional for Youth, June 3, 2018
- Guide to the Scriptures: Israel—The gathering of Israel
- Doctrine and Covenants 41:5
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- 3 Nephi 7. A Reflection Upon Human Unrighteousness, Taylor Halverson, October 9, 2016
- Scripture Roundtable: Book of Mormon Gospel Doctrine Lesson 36, “On the Morrow Come I into the World”, September 15, 2016
- Scripture Roundtable: Book of Mormon Gospel Doctrine Lesson 36, “On the Morrow Come I into the World” (2012), September 19, 2012
- Gentiles in the Book of Mormon, John Hilton III, September 20, 2019
- “They Shall No More Be Confounded”: Moroni’s Wordplay on Joseph in Ether 13:1-13 and Moroni 10:31, Matthew L. Bowen, October 12, 2018
- “The Time is Past”: A Note on Samuel’s Five-Year Prophecy, Neal Rappleye, May 18, 2018
- “Swearing by Their Everlasting Maker”: Some Notes on Paanchi and Giddianhi, Matthew L. Bowen, March 2, 2018
- Jacob’s Protector, Matthew L. Bowen, December 15, 2017
- The Scalp of Your Head: Polysemy in Alma 44:14–18, Matthew L. Bowen, May 27, 2016
Resources on Other Sites
- How Does the Book of Mormon Help Date the First Christmas?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #255
- How was There a Night Without Darkness?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #188
- Why Were Many Nephites So Quick to Disbelieve the Signs of Christ’s Coming?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #189
- Why was Giddianhi So Polite?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #190
- Why Are Later Jewish Sources Relevant to Texts in the Book of Mormon?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #478
- Why Did the People Cut Down the Tree after Hanging Zemnarihah?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #192
- Why Did the Gadianton Robbers Wear a Lamb Skin?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #191
- Why do New Testament Words and Phrases Show Up in the Book of Mormon? Part 2: The Resurrected Jesus as the Source, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #528
- Why Do We Need Prophets?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #364
- Why Did Mormon Introduce Himself in 3 Nephi 5?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #194
- Why Did the "Pride Cycle" Destroy the Nephite Nation?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #195
- Is There Evidence for Book of Mormon Highways in Ancient America?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #470
- How Was Nephi, Son of Nephi, Similar to John the Baptist?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #196
- Why Does the Book of Mormon Use the Phrase "Secret Combinations?", Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #377