As you record your impressions this week, think about how the principles in Helaman 13–16 build on and reinforce other things you have been learning in the scriptures.
Helaman 13: Samuel the Lamanite prophesies the destruction of the Nephites unless they repent—They and their riches are cursed—They reject and stone the prophets, are encircled about by demons, and seek for happiness in doing iniquity. About 6 B.C.
Helaman 14: Samuel predicts light during the night and a new star at Christ’s birth—Christ redeems men from temporal and spiritual death—The signs of His death include three days of darkness, the rending of the rocks, and great upheavals of nature. About 6 B.C.
Helaman 15: The Lord chastened the Nephites because He loved them—Converted Lamanites are firm and steadfast in the faith—The Lord will be merciful unto the Lamanites in the latter days. About 6 B.C.
Helaman 16: The Nephites who believe Samuel are baptized by Nephi—Samuel cannot be slain with the arrows and stones of the unrepentant Nephites—Some harden their hearts, and others see angels—The unbelievers say it is not reasonable to believe in Christ and His coming in Jerusalem. About 6–1 B.C.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Samuel Tells of the Baby Jesus, Children’s Songbook, 36
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- Samuel the Lamanite, Christ, and Zenos: A Study of Intertextuality, Quinten Barney, January 29, 2016
- The Doctrine of Resurrection in the Book of Mormon, A. Keith Thompson, July 31, 2015
- “The Time is Past”: A Note on Samuel’s Five-Year Prophecy, Neal Rappleye, May 18, 2018
- The Time of Sin, Joseph M. Spencer, March 21, 2014
Resources on Other Sites
- Why Did Samuel Say the Wealth of Some Nephites Would Become “Slippery”?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #539
- What Does the Book of Mormon Teach about Prophets?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #284
- Why Did Samuel Make Such Chronologically Precise Prophecies?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #184
- How Can People Today Avoid Being Destroyed Like the Nephites Were?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #327
- Why did Samuel Rely So Heavily on the Words of Past Prophets?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #185
- How Does the Book of Mormon Help Date Christ’s Death?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #300
- Why Did Samuel Say the Lord "Hated" the Lamanites?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #186
- Why Does Mormon State that "˜Angels Did Appear unto Wise Men’?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #187