While previous chapters in 3 Nephi focused mainly on the Savior’s words, chapters 17–19 describe His ministry and teachings among the people. As you read these chapters, what does the Spirit teach you about the Savior?
3 Nephi 17: Jesus directs the people to ponder His words and pray for understanding—He heals their sick—He prays for the people, using language that cannot be written—Angels minister to and fire encircles their little ones. About A.D. 34.
3 Nephi 18: Jesus institutes the sacrament among the Nephites—They are commanded to pray always in His name—Those who eat His flesh and drink His blood unworthily are damned—The disciples are given power to confer the Holy Ghost. About A.D. 34.
3 Nephi 19: The twelve disciples minister unto the people and pray for the Holy Ghost—The disciples are baptized and receive the Holy Ghost and the ministering of angels—Jesus prays using words that cannot be written—He attests to the exceedingly great faith of these Nephites. About A.D. 34.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Reverently, Quietly, Children’s Songbook, 26
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- Labor Diligently to Write: The Ancient Making of a Modern Scripture — Chapters 16-18, Brant A. Gardner
- 3 Nephi 17-19. Christ’s Visit to the Americas, Taylor Halverson, October 9, 2016
- Scripture Roundtable: Book of Mormon Gospel Doctrine Lesson 39, “Behold, My Joy Is Full”, October 11, 2016
- Gentiles in the Book of Mormon, John Hilton III, September 20, 2019
- The Changing Forms of the Latter-day Saint Sacrament, Ugo A. Perego, September 16, 2016
- To “See and Hear”, Kevin L. Tolley, January 22, 2016
Resources on Other Sites
- The Judgment Seat of Christ, BYU Religious Studies Center
- Why Has 3 Nephi Been Called the Crown Jewel of the Book of Mormon?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #210
- Why is Joy Associated with Temple Work in the Scriptures?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #372
- Why Did Jesus Minister to the People One by One?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #209
- Why Does Jesus Say that "Ye Must Watch and Pray Always"?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #344
- Where Did Joseph Smith Get His Teachings on the Family?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #285
- Why Should Readers Pay Attention to the Book of Mormon’s Editorial Promises?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #510
- Why Did the Savior Emphasize His Risen Body in the Nephite Sacrament?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #211
- Why Is 3 Nephi Important for Understanding the Godhead?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #213
- Why Did Jesus Allude to the Priestly Blessing in Numbers 6? , Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #212