The name Malachi means “my messenger” (Bible Dictionary, “Malachi”). As you study Malachi’s message to Israel, what messages do you find for your life? How do Malachi’s words relate to our day?
Malachi 1: The Jews despise the Lord by offering polluted bread upon the altar and by sacrificing animals with blemishes—The Lord’s name will be great among the Gentiles.
Malachi 2: The priests are reproved for not keeping their covenants and not teaching the people—The Jews are condemned for dealing treacherously with one another and with their wives.
Malachi 3: The Lord’s messenger will prepare the way for the Second Coming—The Lord will sit in judgment—The people of Israel are commanded to pay tithes and offerings—They keep a book of remembrance.
Malachi 4: At the Second Coming, the proud and wicked will be burned as stubble—Elijah will return before that great and dreadful day.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- “Family History—I Am Doing It,” Children’s Songbook, 94.
- Chapter 48: After the Old Testament
- Paying Tithing (Malachi 3:8-12)
- Old Testament Seminary Student Material: Lesson 159: Malachi 1–3
- Old Testament Seminary Student Material: Lesson 160: Malachi 4
- Old Testament Study Guide for Home-Study Seminary Students: Unit 32: Day 3, Malachi 1–2
- Old Testament Study Guide for Home-Study Seminary Students: Unit 32: Day 4, Malachi 3–4
- Old Testament Institute Student Manual Kings-Malachi: “Behold, I Will Send You Elijah the Prophet” (Malachi)
- Old Testament Institute Student Manual Kings-Malachi: Between the Testaments
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- Scripture Roundtable: Old Testament Gospel Doctrine Lesson 48, “The Great and Dreadful Day of the Lord”, Administration, October 24, 2014
- Finding Joy in Temple & Family History Work, Taylor Halverson, October 27, 2013
- Messengers of the Covenant: Mormon’s Doctrinal Use of Malachi 3:1 in Moroni 7:29–32, Matthew L. Bowen, February 1, 2019
- The Status of Women in Old Testament Marriage, Noel B. Reynolds, March 23, 2018
- Joseph Smith and the Doctrine of Sealing, A. Keith Thompson, July 8, 2016
Resources on Other Sites
- Why Did Jesus Quote the Words of Malachi 3-4 in 3 Nephi 24-25?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #370, October 5, 2017
- Why Will God Turn the Hearts of the Fathers to the Children?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #219, October 28, 2016
- Why Did Jesus Give the Nephites Malachi's Prophecies?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #218, October 27, 2016
- “The Great and Dreadful Day of the Lord”: The Anatomy of an Expression, by Dana M. Pike, BYU Studies, Volume 41, no. 2
- The Living Bread Which Came Down from Heaven, by Elder D. Todd Christofferson, October 2017 General Conference
- The Windows of Heaven, by Elder David A. Bednar, October 2013 General Conference
- Turning the Hearts of the Fathers to the Children: Nurturing the Next Generation, by Alan J. Hawkins, Clifford J. Rhoades, David C. Dollahite, BYU Studies 33, no. 2