Elder Richard G. Scott explained that recording inspiration “shows God that His communications are sacred to us. Recording will also enhance our ability to recall revelation” (“How to Obtain Revelation and Inspiration for Your Personal Life,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2012, 46).
Daniel 1: Daniel and certain Hebrews are trained in the court of Nebuchadnezzar—They eat plain food and drink no wine—God gives them knowledge and wisdom beyond all others.
Daniel 2: Nebuchadnezzar’s dream is revealed to Daniel—The king saw a great image, a stone cut from the mountain without hands destroyed the image, and the stone grew and filled the whole earth—The stone is the latter-day kingdom of God.
Daniel 3: Nebuchadnezzar creates a golden image and commands all men to worship it—Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego refuse and are cast into the fiery furnace—They are preserved and come out unharmed.
Daniel 4: Daniel interprets Nebuchadnezzar’s dream of the great tree, describing the king’s fall and madness—The king learns that the Most High rules and sets the basest of men over earthly kingdoms.
Daniel 5: Belshazzar and his revelers drink from the vessels of the temple—A hand writes upon the wall, telling of Belshazzar’s downfall—Daniel interprets the words and reproves the king for pride and idolatry—That night Babylon is conquered.
Daniel 6: Darius makes Daniel the first of his presidents—Daniel worships the Lord in defiance of a decree of Darius—He is cast into the den of lions—His faith saves him, and Darius decrees that all people are to revere the God of Daniel.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- “I Want to Live the Gospel,” Children’s Songbook, 148.
- Chapter 40: Daniel and His Friends
- Chapter 41: Daniel and the King’s Dream
- Chapter 42: Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego
- Chapter 43: Daniel and the Lions’ Den
- Word of Wisdom Leads to Revelation (Daniel 1)
- Old Testament Seminary Student Material: Lesson 146: Daniel 1–2
- Old Testament Seminary Student Material: Lesson 147: Daniel 3–5
- Old Testament Seminary Student Material: Lesson 149: Daniel 6–12
- Old Testament Study Guide for Home-Study Seminary Students: Unit 29: Day 4, Daniel 1–2
- Old Testament Study Guide for Home-Study Seminary Students: Unit 30: Day 1, Daniel 3–12
- Old Testament Institute Student Manual Kings-Malachi: Daniel: Prophet of God, Companion of Kings (Daniel)
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- “A Kingdom, Which Shall Never Be Destroyed.” Daniel 2, Taylor Halverson, October 9, 2014
- Scripture Roundtable: Old Testament Gospel Doctrine Lesson 46, “A Kingdom, Which Shall Never Be Destroyed”, Administration, October 1, 2014
Resources on Other Sites
- Daniel, Prophecies of, Jeffrey R. Chadwick, Encyclopedia of Mormonism
- Daniel: Prophet of God, Companion of Kings, Old Testament Student Manual, Kings-Malachi, lds.org
- Quiet Slumber: Revelation through Dreams, Ryan C. Jenkins, Religious Educator 12, no. 1 (2011): 73–89
- Singular and Plural address in the Scripture, James R. Rasband, BYU Studies 41, no. 2
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints membership history, Wikipedia
- The Stone Cut Out of the Mountain, by Gordon B. Hinckley, October 2007 General Conference
- The Stone Cut without Hands, Spencer W. Kimball, April 1976 General Conference