The suggestions in this outline can help you identify some of the important principles in these chapters. You may find other principles as you study.
1 Samuel 8: Samuel’s sons take bribes and pervert judgment—The Israelites seek for a king to rule over them—Samuel rehearses the nature and evils of kingly rule—The Lord consents to give them a king.
1 Samuel 9: Saul, the son of Kish, a Benjamite, is a choice and goodly person—He is sent to seek his father’s asses—The Lord reveals to Samuel the seer that Saul is to be king—Saul goes to Samuel and is entertained by him.
1 Samuel 10: Samuel anoints Saul to be captain over the Lord’s inheritance—Samuel manifests the gift of seership—Saul prophesies among the prophets, and the Lord gives him a new heart—He is chosen king at Mizpeh.
1 Samuel 13: Saul offers a burnt offering—The Lord rejects him and chooses another captain over His people.
1 Samuel 15: Saul is commanded to smite and destroy the Amalekites and all that they have—He saves some animals to sacrifice—Saul is rejected as king and told that to obey is better than sacrifice—Samuel destroys Agag.
1 Samuel 16: The Lord chooses David of Bethlehem as king—He is anointed by Samuel—Saul chooses David as his companion and armor bearer.
1 Samuel 17: Israel and the Philistines engage in war—Goliath of Gath, a giant, defies Israel and challenges any Israelite to personal combat—David goes against him in the name of the Lord—David slays Goliath with a sling and a stone—Israel defeats the Philistines.
1 Samuel 18: Jonathan loves David—Saul sets David over his armies—David is honored by the people, and Saul becomes jealous—David marries Michal, a daughter of Saul.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- “I Will Be Valiant,” Children’s Songbook, 162.
- Chapter 25: Samuel
- Chapter 26: King Saul
- Chapter 27: Young David
- Chapter 28: David and Goliath
- Measure of Our Hearts (1 Samuel 16:1-13)
- Old Testament Seminary Student Material: Lesson 85: 1 Samuel 4–8
- Old Testament Seminary Student Material: Lesson 86: 1 Samuel 9–15
- Old Testament Seminary Student Material: Lesson 87: 1 Samuel 16
- Old Testament Seminary Student Material: Lesson 88: 1 Samuel 17
- Old Testament Seminary Student Material: Lesson 90: 1 Samuel 18–24
- Old Testament Seminary Student Material: Lesson 91: 1 Samuel 25–31
- Old Testament Study Guide for Home-Study Seminary Students: Unit 17: Day 2, 1 Samuel 4–8
- Old Testament Study Guide for Home-Study Seminary Students: Unit 17: Day 3, 1 Samuel 9–11
- Old Testament Study Guide for Home-Study Seminary Students: Unit 17: Day 4, 1 Samuel 12–15
- Old Testament Study Guide for Home-Study Seminary Students: Unit 18: Day 1, 1 Samuel 16–17
- Old Testament Study Guide for Home-Study Seminary Students: Unit 18: Day 2, 1 Samuel 18–24
- Old Testament Study Guide for Home-Study Seminary Students: Unit 18: Day 3, 1 Samuel 25–31
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- KnoWhy OTL23A — How Does the Story of David’s Loyalty to Saul Apply in Our Day?, Jeffrey M. Bradshaw, June 14, 2018
- KnoWhy OTL22A — What Was the Religious Role of Music in the Life and Times of David?, Jeffrey M. Bradshaw, June 12, 2018
- Scripture Roundtable: Old Testament Gospel Doctrine Lesson 23, “The Lord Be Between Thee and Me For Ever”, Administration, May 27, 2014
- Scripture Roundtable: Old Testament Gospel Doctrine Lesson 21, God Will Honor Those Who Honor Him, Administration, May 15, 2014
- “The Lord Looketh on the Heart.” 1 Samuel 9-11; 13; 15-17, Taylor Halverson, October 17, 2013
- Why Did Northern Israel Fall to the Assyrians? A Weberian Proposal, Taylor Halverson, October 2, 2018
- Too Little or Too Much Like the Bible? A Novel Critique of the Book of Mormon Involving David and the Psalms, Jeff Lindsay, May 25, 2018
Resources on Other Sites
- 1 Samuel 1–15: The Prophet Samuel and Saul, King of Israel, LDS Old Testament Student Manual, LDS.org
- 1 Samuel 16–31: King David’s Call to Lead Israel, LDS Old Testament Institute Manual, LDS.org
- 1 Samuel 16–31: King David’s Call to Lead Israel, Old Testament Student Manual Genesis-2 Samuel, 1980
- Biblical Hebrew Words You Already Know and Why They Are Important, Dana M. Pike, Religious Educator, Volume 7, no. 3, (2006)
- Biblical Style and Western Literature, Herbert N. Schneidau, Literature of Belief: Sacred Scripture and Religious Experience, BYU Religious Studies Center
- Brigham and Heber, Stanley B. Kimball, BYU Studies, Volume 18, no. 3
- Eli and His Sons: Some Lessons for Parents, Frank F. Judd Jr., Religious Educator 2, no. 2 (2001): 47–51
- Fasting in the Book of Mormon and the Bible, Stephen D. Ricks, The Book of Mormon: The Keystone Scripture
- Friend or Foe, Charles Didier, General Conference, October 1984
- Lessons from the Old Testament, Lynn A. Mickelsen, Ensign, June 2006
- Meeting Your Goliath, Thomas S. Monson, Ensign, January 1987
- The Death of Uzzah, Brian Ricks, BYU Religious Education 2010 Student Symposium (Provo, UT: Religious Studies Center, Brigham Young University, 2010), 117–126
- The Tragic Dimensions of Saul, Richard G. Ellsworth, Ensign, June 1990