President Henry B. Eyring taught: “The Restoration of the gospel started with a humble question pondered in a humble home, and it can continue in each of our homes” (“A Home Where the Spirit of the Lord Dwells,” Ensign or Liahona, May 2019, 25).
D&C 133: Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, at Hiram, Ohio, November 3, 1831. Prefacing this revelation, Joseph Smith’s history states, “At this time there were many things which the Elders desired to know relative to preaching the Gospel to the inhabitants of the earth, and concerning the gathering; and in order to walk by the true light, and be instructed from on high, on the 3rd of November, 1831, I inquired of the Lord and received the following important revelation.” This section was first added to the book of Doctrine and Covenants as an appendix and was subsequently assigned a section number.
D&C 134: A declaration of belief regarding governments and laws in general, adopted by unanimous vote at a general assembly of the Church held at Kirtland, Ohio, August 17, 1835. Many Saints gathered together to consider the proposed contents of the first edition of the Doctrine and Covenants. At that time, this declaration was given the following preamble: “That our belief with regard to earthly governments and laws in general may not be misinterpreted nor misunderstood, we have thought proper to present, at the close of this volume, our opinion concerning the same.”
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- “Come, Ye Children of the Lord,” Hymns, no. 58.
- William McLellin’s Five Questions, Revelations in Context
- Section 133, The Lord’s Appendix to the Doctrine and Covenants, Doctrine and Covenants Institute Student Manual (2002), pp 335–43
- Chapter 53: Doctrine and Covenants 133, Doctrine and Covenants Institute Student Manual (2017)
- Of Governments and Laws, Revelations in Context
- Section 134, Earthly Governments and Laws, Doctrine and Covenants Institute Student Manual (2002), pp 344–47
- Chapter 54: Doctrine and Covenants 134–36, Doctrine and Covenants Institute Student Manual (2017)
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- “Being Good Citizens” D&C 58:21-22, 26-28; D&C 98:4-10; 134; Articles of Faith 1:12, Taylor Halverson, October 13, 2013
- Scripture Roundtable: D&C Gospel Doctrine Lesson 21, "Looking Forth for the Great Day of the Lord to Come", Administration, June 16, 2017
- Scripture Roundtable: D&C Gospel Doctrine Lesson 44, Being Good Citizens, Administration, October 12, 2013
- “How long can rolling waters remain impure?”: Literary Aspects of the Doctrine and Covenants, Richard Dilworth Rust, October 6, 2017