In section 76, the Lord expressed how much He wants to reveal truth to us (see verses 7–10). Read the scriptures with faith that He can and will reveal to you “the things of God” (verse 12) that you need to know. Then record the insights you receive “while [you are] yet in the Spirit” (verses 28, 80, 113).
D&C 76: A vision given to Joseph Smith the Prophet and Sidney Rigdon, at Hiram, Ohio, February 16, 1832. Prefacing the record of this vision, Joseph Smith’s history states: “Upon my return from Amherst conference, I resumed the translation of the Scriptures. From sundry revelations which had been received, it was apparent that many important points touching the salvation of man had been taken from the Bible, or lost before it was compiled. It appeared self-evident from what truths were left, that if God rewarded every one according to the deeds done in the body the term ‘Heaven,’ as intended for the Saints’ eternal home, must include more kingdoms than one. Accordingly, … while translating St. John’s Gospel, myself and Elder Rigdon saw the following vision.” At the time this vision was given, the Prophet was translating John 5:29.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Aaronic Priesthood Quorums and Young Women Classes (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- “I Know That My Redeemer Lives,” Hymns, no. 136.
- Joseph Smith’s Bible Translation, Revelations in Context
- “The Vision”, Revelations in Context
- Section 76, The Vision of the Degrees of Glory, Doctrine and Covenants Institute Student Manual (2002), pp 158–66
- Chapter 27: Doctrine and Covenants 76:1–49, Doctrine and Covenants Institute Student Manual (2017)
- Chapter 28: Doctrine and Covenants 76:50–119, Doctrine and Covenants Institute Student Manual (2017)
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- KnoWhy OTL13A — What Did the Lord Mean When He Said Moses Would Become “God to Pharaoh” During the Plagues of Egypt?, Jeffrey M. Bradshaw, March 26, 2018
- “The Kingdoms of Glory”: D&C 76; 131; 132:19-24; 137, Taylor Halverson, December 7, 2013
- Scripture Roundtable: D&C Gospel Doctrine Lesson 20, "The Kingdoms of Glory", Administration, June 16, 2017
- “How long can rolling waters remain impure?”: Literary Aspects of the Doctrine and Covenants, Richard Dilworth Rust, October 6, 2017
- The Doctrine of Resurrection in the Book of Mormon, A. Keith Thompson, July 31, 2015
Resources on Other Sites
- Joseph Smith, Emanuel Swedenborg, and Section 76: Importance of the Bible in Latter-day Revelation from The Doctrine and Covenants: Revelations in Context
- BYU Religious Education Discussions on the Doctrine and Covenants: The Vision, Part 1 D&C 76
- BYU Religious Education Discussions on the Doctrine and Covenants: The Vision, Part 2 D&C 76