“He that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day” (Doctrine and Covenants 50:24). Ponder how you are receiving light by continuing in God.
D&C 49: Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet to Sidney Rigdon, Parley P. Pratt, and Leman Copley, at Kirtland, Ohio, May 7, 1831. Leman Copley had embraced the gospel but still held to some of the teachings of the Shakers (United Society of Believers in Christ’s Second Appearing), to which he had formerly belonged. Some of the beliefs of the Shakers were that Christ’s Second Coming had already occurred and that He had appeared in the form of a woman, Ann Lee. They did not consider baptism by water essential. They rejected marriage and believed in a life of total celibacy. Some Shakers also forbade the eating of meat. In prefacing this revelation, Joseph Smith’s history states, “In order to have [a] more perfect understanding on the subject, I inquired of the Lord, and received the following.” The revelation refutes some of the basic concepts of the Shaker group. The aforementioned brethren took a copy of the revelation to the Shaker community (near Cleveland, Ohio) and read it to them in its entirety, but it was rejected.
D&C 50: Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, at Kirtland, Ohio, May 9, 1831. Joseph Smith’s history states that some of the elders did not understand the manifestations of different spirits abroad in the earth and that this revelation was given in response to his special inquiry on the matter. So-called spiritual phenomena were not uncommon among the members, some of whom claimed to be receiving visions and revelations.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- “Shine On,” Children’s Songbook, 144.
- Chapter 18: Doctrine and Covenants 46–49, Doctrine and Covenants Institute Student Manual (2017)
- Baptism of the Holy Ghost, Doctrine and Covenants Teaching Videos, Elder David A. Bednar
- Leman Copley and the Shakers, Revelations in Context
- Section 49, “Preach My Gospel unto the Shakers”, Doctrine and Covenants Institute Student Manual (2002), pp 104–7
- Religious Enthusiasm among Early Ohio Converts, Revelations in Context
- A Man without Eloquence, Doctrine and Covenants Teaching Videos
- Section 50, “That Which Doth Not Edify Is Not of God”, Doctrine and Covenants Institute Student Manual (2002), pp 107–10
- Chapter 19: Doctrine and Covenants 50, Doctrine and Covenants Institute Student Manual (2017)
- “Leman Copley and the Shakers”, Revelations in Context, 117–21
- “Marriage Is Essential to His Eternal Plan”, Elder David A. Bednar, Ensign, June 2006, 83–84
- Genesis 2:20–24
- 1 Corinthians 11:11
- “The Family: A Proclamation to the World”, Ensign or Liahona, May 2017, 145
- 2 Timothy 3:13–17
- 2 Nephi 28:29
- “Shine On”, Children’s Songbook, 144
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- “Be Not Deceived, but Continue in Steadfastness” Doctrine & Covenants 26; 28; 43:1-7; 50; 52:14-19, Taylor Halverson, August 29, 2013
- Scripture Roundtable: D&C Gospel Doctrine Lesson 22, "The Word of Wisdom", Administration, June 16, 2017
- Scripture Roundtable: D&C Gospel Doctrine Lesson 24, "Be Not Deceived, but Continue in Steadfastness", Administration, June 16, 2017