As you read 2 Nephi 6–10, ponder what the Lord is trying to teach you. As you identify these truths, record them and prayerfully consider how you can act on what you are learning.
2 Nephi 6: Jacob recounts Jewish history: The Babylonian captivity and return; the ministry and crucifixion of the Holy One of Israel; the help received from the Gentiles; and the Jews’ latter-day restoration when they believe in the Messiah. About 559–545 B.C.
2 Nephi 7: Jacob continues reading from Isaiah: Isaiah speaks messianically—The Messiah will have the tongue of the learned—He will give His back to the smiters—He will not be confounded—Compare Isaiah 50. About 559–545 B.C.
2 Nephi 8: Jacob continues reading from Isaiah: In the last days, the Lord will comfort Zion and gather Israel—The redeemed will come to Zion amid great joy—Compare Isaiah 51 and 52:1–2. About 559–545 B.C.
2 Nephi 9: Jacob explains that the Jews will be gathered in all their lands of promise—The Atonement ransoms man from the Fall—The bodies of the dead will come forth from the grave, and their spirits from hell and from paradise—They will be judged—The Atonement saves from death, hell, the devil, and endless torment—The righteous are to be saved in the kingdom of God—Penalties for sins are set forth—The Holy One of Israel is the keeper of the gate. About 559–545 B.C.
2 Nephi 10: Jacob explains that the Jews will crucify their God—They will be scattered until they begin to believe in Him—America will be a land of liberty where no king will rule—Reconcile yourselves to God and gain salvation through His grace. About 559–545 B.C.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- I Feel My Savior’s Love, Children’s Songbook, 74–75
- Jacob Teaches of the Atonement of Jesus Christ (Book of Mormon Videos)
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- Labor Diligently to Write: The Ancient Making of a Modern Scripture — Chapters 12 & 13, Brant A. Gardner
- LDS Perspectives Podcast: Nephi and Isaiah with Joseph Spencer, LDS Perspectives, November 11, 2016
- Scripture Roundtable: Book of Mormon Gospel Doctrine Lesson 8, “O How Great the Goodness of Our God”, February 8, 2016
- 2 Nephi 6-10. Jacob’s Masterful Discourse, Taylor Halverson, February 6, 2016
- William Hamblin on “Jacob’s Sermon (2 Nephi 6-10) and the Day of Atonement”, January 31, 2015
- “O How Great the Goodness of Our God” 2 Nephi 6-10, Taylor Halverson, July 5, 2013
- Gentiles in the Book of Mormon, John Hilton III, Ryan Sharp, Brad Wilcox and Jaron Hansen, September 20, 2019
- Messengers of the Covenant: Mormon’s Doctrinal Use of Malachi 3:1 in Moroni 7:29–32, Matthew L. Bowen, February 1, 2019
- To Be Learned Is Good, If One Stays on the Rails, Paul C. Peterson, October 5, 2018
- Jacob’s Protector, Matthew L. Bowen, December 15, 2017
- Nephi’s Change of Heart, Dennis Newton, June 17, 2016
- Nephi: A Postmodernist Reading, Benjamin L. McGuire, September 5, 2014
Resources on Other Sites
- Come Follow Me 2020: 2 Nephi 6-10, Book of Mormon Central
- Why Does Jacob Describe God as a Divine Warrior?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #277
- Did Jacob Refer to Ancient Israelite Autumn Festivals?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #32
- Why Does Jacob Choose a "Monster" as a Symbol for Death and Hell?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #34
- Why Does the Book of Mormon Warn that a Lake of Fire and Brimstone Awaits Sinners in the Afterlife?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #446
- Why Does Jacob Declare so Many "Woes"?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #35
- What Role Should Scholarship Play in Studying the Book of Mormon?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #487
- What Does the Book of Mormon Teach Us about the Resurrection?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #511
- When Does the Book of Mormon First Talk About the Plan of Salvation?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #33
- Why Does an Angel Reveal the Name of Christ to Jacob?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #36