Nephi, Lehi, and others had “many revelations daily” (Helaman 11:23). Frequent revelation is not just for prophets—it’s available to you, too. Recording your impressions can help you receive revelation more consistently.
Helaman 7: Nephi is rejected in the north and returns to Zarahemla—He prays upon his garden tower and then calls upon the people to repent or perish. About 23–21 B.C.
Helaman 8: Corrupt judges seek to incite the people against Nephi—Abraham, Moses, Zenos, Zenock, Ezias, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lehi, and Nephi all testified of Christ—By inspiration Nephi announces the murder of the chief judge. About 23–21 B.C.
Helaman 9: Messengers find the chief judge dead at the judgment seat—They are imprisoned and later released—By inspiration Nephi identifies Seantum as the murderer—Nephi is accepted by some as a prophet. About 23–21 B.C.
Helaman 10: The Lord gives Nephi the sealing power—He is empowered to bind and loose on earth and in heaven—He commands the people to repent or perish—The Spirit carries him from multitude to multitude. About 21–20 B.C.
Helaman 11: Nephi persuades the Lord to replace their war with a famine—Many people perish—They repent, and Nephi importunes the Lord for rain—Nephi and Lehi receive many revelations—The Gadianton robbers entrench themselves in the land. About 20–6 B.C.
Helaman 12: Men are unstable and foolish and quick to do evil—The Lord chastens His people—The nothingness of men is compared with the power of God—In the day of judgment, men will gain everlasting life or everlasting damnation. About 6 B.C.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Follow the Prophet, Children’s Songbook, 110–11
- Matthew 16:19
- Doctrine and Covenants 132:46
- 3 Nephi 2:1–2
- Gospel Topics: Signs
- Serve with the Spirit, President Henry B. Eyring, Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2010, 60
- My Heart Pondereth Them Continually, Devin G. Durrant, Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2015, 112–15
- Proverbs 4:26
- Luke 2:19
- 1 Nephi 11:1
- 2 Nephi 4:15–16
- 3 Nephi 17:3
- Moroni 10:3
- Doctrine and Covenants 88:62
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- Labor Diligently to Write: The Ancient Making of a Modern Scripture — Chapters 14 & 15, Brant A. Gardner
- “He Is a Good Man”: The Fulfillment of Helaman 5:6-7 in Helaman 8:7 and 11:18-19, Matthew L. Bowen, November 6, 2015
- “In the Mount of the Lord It Shall Be Seen” and “Provided”: Theophany and Sacrifice as the Etiological Foundation of the Temple in Israelite and Latter-day Saint Tradition, Matthew L. Bowen, June 21, 2013
- Let There Be a Famine in the Land, Jim Hawker, December 7, 2018
- The Divine Council in the Hebrew Bible and the Book of Mormon, Stephen O. Smoot, November 3, 2017
- The Language of the Spirit in the Book of Mormon, Noel B. Reynolds, August 30, 2019
- “They Were Moved with Compassion” (Alma 27:4; 53:13): Toponymic Wordplay on Zarahemla and Jershon, Matthew L. Bowen, February 19, 2016
Resources on Other Sites
- Why Did Nephi Prophesy Near "the Highway Which Led to the Chief Market?", Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #178
- Why Did Nephi Rely on Earlier Testimonies of Christ?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #179
- Why Could Seantum be Convicted Without Any Witnesses?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #180
- Why Do New Testament Words and Phrases Show Up in the Book of Mormon? Part 4: Revelations to Nephite Prophets as the Source (Part B), Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #531
- Why is There Temple Imagery in Helaman 10?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #181
- Is the Book of Mormon’s Depiction of Guerrilla Warfare Realistic?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #423
- How Did Nephi Use the Power to Seal on Earth and in Heaven?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #182
- What Can We All Learn about Repentance from the Tragic Loss of the 116 Book of Mormon Pages?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #504
- Why Did Mormon Say the Children of Men are Less than the Dust of the Earth?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #183