It may seem that the events described in Alma 43–52 are not particularly relevant to you. But as in all scripture, the Lord has a message for you. Prayerfully seek it.
Alma 43: Alma and his sons preach the word—The Zoramites and other Nephite dissenters become Lamanites—The Lamanites come against the Nephites in war—Moroni arms the Nephites with defensive armor—The Lord reveals to Alma the strategy of the Lamanites—The Nephites defend their homes, liberties, families, and religion—The armies of Moroni and Lehi surround the Lamanites. About 74 B.C.
Alma 44: Moroni commands the Lamanites to make a covenant of peace or be destroyed—Zerahemnah rejects the offer, and the battle resumes—Moroni’s armies defeat the Lamanites. About 74–73 B.C.
Alma 45: Helaman believes the words of Alma—Alma prophesies the destruction of the Nephites—He blesses and curses the land—Alma may have been taken up by the Spirit, even as Moses—Dissension grows in the Church. About 73 B.C.
Alma 46: Amalickiah conspires to be king—Moroni raises the title of liberty—He rallies the people to defend their religion—True believers are called Christians—A remnant of Joseph will be preserved—Amalickiah and the dissenters flee to the land of Nephi—Those who will not support the cause of freedom are put to death. About 73–72 B.C.
Alma 47: Amalickiah uses treachery, murder, and intrigue to become king of the Lamanites—The Nephite dissenters are more wicked and ferocious than the Lamanites. About 72 B.C.
Alma 48: Amalickiah incites the Lamanites against the Nephites—Moroni prepares his people to defend the cause of the Christians—He rejoices in liberty and freedom and is a mighty man of God. About 72 B.C.
Alma 49: The invading Lamanites are unable to take the fortified cities of Ammonihah and Noah—Amalickiah curses God and swears to drink the blood of Moroni—Helaman and his brethren continue to strengthen the Church. About 72 B.C.
Alma 50: Moroni fortifies the lands of the Nephites—They build many new cities—Wars and destructions befell the Nephites in the days of their wickedness and abominations—Morianton and his dissenters are defeated by Teancum—Nephihah dies, and his son Pahoran fills the judgment seat. About 72–67 B.C.
Alma 51: The king-men seek to change the law and set up a king—Pahoran and the freemen are supported by the voice of the people—Moroni compels the king-men to defend their country or be put to death—Amalickiah and the Lamanites capture many fortified cities—Teancum repels the Lamanite invasion and slays Amalickiah in his tent. About 67–66 B.C.
Alma 52: Ammoron succeeds Amalickiah as king of the Lamanites—Moroni, Teancum, and Lehi lead the Nephites in a victorious war against the Lamanites—The city of Mulek is retaken, and Jacob the Zoramite is slain. About 66–64 B.C.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Aaronic Priesthood Quorums and Young Women Classes: How Can I Resist Temptations? (Alma 43–52) (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Where is your focus? (Ensign Weekly Book of Mormon Insights)
- Alma 43-52 (Ensign Support Articles and Activities)
- Home Can Be a Heaven on Earth, Hymns, no. 298
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- Come, Follow Me Study and Teaching Helps — Lesson 31: Alma 43-52, Jonn Claybaugh
- Audio Roundtable: Come, Follow Me Book of Mormon Lesson 31 (Alma 43-52)
- Alma 44: Just and Unjust War, Simile Curses, and Repentance, Hales Swift
- Labor Diligently to Write: The Ancient Making of a Modern Scripture — Chapters 14 & 15, Brant A. Gardner
- The Amlicites and Amalekites: Are They the Same People?, Benjamin McMurtry, June 23, 2017
- The Title of Liberty and Ancient Prophecy, RoseAnn Benson, February 10, 2017
- The Scalp of Your Head: Polysemy in Alma 44:14–18, Matthew L. Bowen, May 27, 2016
- In His Footsteps: Ammon₁ and Ammon₂, Val Larsen, January 11, 2013
Resources on Other Sites
- Come Follow Me 2020: Alma 43-52, Book of Mormon Central
- Come Follow Me (Insights into Alma Alma 43–52, August 3–9), Tyler Griffin and Taylor Halverson
- Come, Follow Me with John Hilton III (Alma 47), Book of Mormon Central
- Alma 43-52, John W. Welch Notes
- Why Did God Support the Nephites in Battle?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #572
- Military Chaplains and the Book of Mormon, Book of Mormon Central
- Come Follow Me – Alma 43-52 (part 1): “Poison by Degrees” , Unshaken
- Come Follow Me – Alma 43-52 (part 2): “The Cause of Christ” , Unshaken
- Come Follow Me Alma 43-52 (Aug. 3-9), Don’t Miss This
- Come Follow Me Podcast #31: “Stand Fast in the Faith of Christ”, Alma 43-52, Meridian Magazine
- Come Follow Me for Sunday School: “Stand Fast in the Faith of Christ”, Alma 43-52, Meridian Magazine
- Alma 43 to 52 – “Stand Fast in the Faith of Christ”, BYU Studies
- “Peaceable Followers of Christ” in Days of War and Contention, BYU Religious Studies Center
- Captain Moroni’s Wartime Strategies: An Application for the Spiritual Battles of Our Day, BYU Religious Studies Center
- The Captain and the Covenant, BYU Religious Studies Center
- Aug. 3 – 9, 2020 Come, Follow Me Songs, Music for Latter-day Life
- How Can the Book of Mormon Provide Peace and Meaning to Those in Military Service?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #496
- Why Would Zerahemnah Not Swear an Oath to Moroni?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #152
- How Did Seeking a King Get in the Way of Sustaining a Prophet?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #153
- Why Did Moroni Quote the Patriarch Jacob about a Piece of Joseph’s Coat?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #154
- How Did Democracy Help the Nephites Conquer Their Enemies?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #156
- Why Did Mormon See Captain Moroni as a Hero?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #155
- Why are There So Many War Chapters in the Book of Mormon?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #157
- What Was the Nature of Nephite Fortifications?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #158
- Why Did Moroni Speak of Pulling Down Pride?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #430
- Why Would Pahoran Not Allow the Law to Be Amended?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #159
- Why Did Teancum Slay Amalickiah on New Year’s Eve?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #160