As you study Alma 39–42, the Holy Ghost can give you insights about things that are happening in your life.
Alma 39: Sexual sin is an abomination—Corianton’s sins kept the Zoramites from receiving the word—Christ’s redemption is retroactive in saving the faithful who preceded it. About 74 B.C.
Alma 40: Christ brings to pass the resurrection of all men—The righteous dead go to paradise and the wicked to outer darkness to await the day of their resurrection—All things will be restored to their proper and perfect frame in the Resurrection. About 74 B.C.
Alma 41: In the Resurrection men come forth to a state of endless happiness or endless misery—Wickedness never was happiness—Carnal men are without God in the world—Every person receives again in the Restoration the characteristics and attributes acquired in mortality. About 74 B.C.
Alma 42: Mortality is a probationary time to enable man to repent and serve God—The Fall brought temporal and spiritual death upon all mankind—Redemption comes through repentance—God Himself atones for the sins of the world—Mercy is for those who repent—All others are subject to God’s justice—Mercy comes because of the Atonement—Only the truly penitent are saved. About 74 B.C.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Repentance, Children’s Songbook, 98
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- Labor Diligently to Write: The Ancient Making of a Modern Scripture — Chapters 14 & 15, Brant A. Gardner
- Restoration: A Theological Poem in the Book of Mormon, Val Larsen, June 20, 2014
- In His Footsteps: Ammon₁ and Ammon₂, Val Larsen, January 11, 2013
Resources on Other Sites
- Come Follow Me 2020: Alma 39-42, Book of Mormon Central
- The Three Most Abominable Sins, BYU Religious Studies Center
- How to Be Reclaimed from the Fall of Adam, BYU Religious Studies Center
- The Law of Justice and the Law of Mercy, BYU Religious Studies Center
- A New Meaning of “Restoration”: The Book of Mormon on Life after Death, BYU Religious Studies Center
- The State of the Soul between Death and Resurrection, BYU Religious Studies Center
- What Impact Do My Actions Have on Others?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #390
- Why Was Corianton’s Sin So Serious?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #147
- What Does Alma Say about Avoiding Sexual Sin?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #326
- What Does the Book of Mormon Teach about the Afterlife?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #315
- Why Was Corianton So Concerned About The Resurrection?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #148
- Why and How Did Alma Explain the Meaning of the Word Restoration"?", Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #149
- Why Can Wickedness Never Bring Happiness?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #329
- Why Does Alma Mention "the Plan" Ten Times in His Words to Corianton?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #150
- Why Are There So Many Different Names for the Plan of Salvation?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #312