Studying the scriptures invites revelation. So as you read Alma 8–12, record the impressions of the Spirit as He teaches you from the messages of Alma and Amulek.
Alma 8: Alma preaches and baptizes in Melek—He is rejected in Ammonihah and leaves—An angel commands him to return and cry repentance unto the people—He is received by Amulek, and the two of them preach in Ammonihah. About 82 B.C.
Alma 9: Alma commands the people of Ammonihah to repent—The Lord will be merciful to the Lamanites in the last days—If the Nephites forsake the light, they will be destroyed by the Lamanites—The Son of God will come soon—He will redeem those who repent, are baptized, and have faith in His name. About 82 B.C.
Alma 10: Lehi descended from Manasseh—Amulek recounts the angelic command that he care for Alma—The prayers of the righteous cause the people to be spared—Unrighteous lawyers and judges lay the foundation of the destruction of the people. About 82 B.C.
Alma 11: The Nephite monetary system is set forth—Amulek contends with Zeezrom—Christ will not save people in their sins—Only those who inherit the kingdom of heaven are saved—All men will rise in immortality—There is no death after the Resurrection. About 82 B.C.
Alma 12: Alma speaks to Zeezrom—The mysteries of God can be given only to the faithful—Men are judged by their thoughts, beliefs, words, and works—The wicked will suffer a spiritual death—This mortal life is a probationary state—The plan of redemption brings to pass the Resurrection and, through faith, a remission of sins—The repentant have a claim on mercy through the Only Begotten Son. About 82 B.C.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- We’ll Bring the World His Truth, Children’s Songbook, 172–73
- 3 Nephi 18:30–32
- The Cost—and Blessings—of Discipleship, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, Ensign or Liahona, May 2014, 6–9
- Doctrine and Covenants 82:3
- The Resurrection of Jesus Christ, Elder D. Todd Christofferson, Ensign or Liahona, May 2014, 111–14
- Helaman 5:10
- 1 John 1:9–10
- Remembering in Whom We Have Trusted, Elder Allen D. Haynie, Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2015, 121–23
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- The Possibility of Janus Parallelism in the Book of Mormon, Jeff Lindsay, January 5, 2018
- The Doctrine of Resurrection in the Book of Mormon, A. Keith Thompson, July 31, 2015
- A Nickname and a Slam Dunk: Notes on the Book of Mormon Names Zeezrom and Jershon, Stephen D. Ricks, January 31, 2014
- In His Footsteps: Ammon₁ and Ammon₂, Val Larsen, January 11, 2013
Resources on Other Sites
- Why Did Alma Bless and Thank God After Eating? , Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #115
- What does it Mean to "Prosper in the Land"?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #116
- Why is Amulek’s Household Significant?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #117
- Why Would Zeezrom Attempt to Bribe Amulek?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #118
- Why You Should Care About the Nephite Weights and Measures System, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #322
- Why Did Alma Teach His Opponents about the Temple?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #119