Alma 5–7 can help you reflect on your ongoing conversion to Jesus Christ. As you read, record what the Spirit teaches you.
Alma 5: To gain salvation, men must repent and keep the commandments, be born again, cleanse their garments through the blood of Christ, be humble and strip themselves of pride and envy, and do the works of righteousness—The Good Shepherd calls His people—Those who do evil works are children of the devil—Alma testifies of the truth of his doctrine and commands men to repent—The names of the righteous will be written in the book of life. About 83 B.C.
Alma 6: The Church in Zarahemla is cleansed and set in order—Alma goes to Gideon to preach. About 83 B.C.
Alma 7: Christ will be born of Mary—He will loose the bands of death and bear the sins of His people—Those who repent, are baptized, and keep the commandments will have eternal life—Filthiness cannot inherit the kingdom of God—Humility, faith, hope, and charity are required. About 83 B.C.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me, Hymns, no. 116
- Alma 4:6–15
- Return and Receive, President M. Russell Ballard, Ensign or Liahona, May 2017, 64
- Preserving the Heart’s Mighty Change, Elder Dale G. Renlund, Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2009, 97–99
- Mosiah 27:10–17
- Bear Up Their Burdens with Ease, Elder David A. Bednar, Ensign or Liahona, May 2014, 90
- Isaiah 53:3–5
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- Compassion as the Heart of the Gospel, Daniel C. Peterson, July 5, 2019
- “Most Desirable Above All Things”: Onomastic Play on Mary and Mormon in the Book of Mormon, Matthew L. Bowen, November 21, 2014
- In His Footsteps: Ammon₁ and Ammon₂, Val Larsen, January 11, 2013
Resources on Other Sites
- Why Did Alma Ask Church Members Fifty Probing Questions?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #112
- Why Did Alma Ask about Having God’s Image Engraven upon One’s Countenance?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #295
- Why Did Alma Add "Chains of Hell" to Abinadi’s Phrase "Bands of Death"?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #111
- Why Did Alma Need to "Establish the Order of the Church" in Zarahemla Again?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #113
- Why Do New Testament Words and Phrases Show up in the Book of Mormon? Part 3: Revelations to Nephite Prophets as a Source (Part A), Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #529
- What Did Alma Reveal about the Savior’s Mission?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #323
- Why Does Alma Mention Three Kinds of Paths in One Verse?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #114