This outline highlights some of the many valuable principles in the book of Numbers. Be open also to others the Spirit may help you see.
Numbers 11: Fire from the Lord consumes the rebels in Israel—Israel murmurs and lusts for meat instead of manna—Moses complains that he cannot bear the burden alone—He is commanded to choose seventy elders to assist him—The Lord promises meat until it becomes loathsome to the Israelites—The seventy elders are chosen, they prophesy, the Lord comes down, and Eldad and Medad prophesy in the camp—Israel is provided with quail—The people lust, a great plague follows, and many die.
Numbers 12: Aaron and Miriam complain against Moses, the most meek of all men—The Lord promises to speak to Moses mouth to mouth and to reveal to him the similitude of the Lord—Miriam becomes leprous for a week.
Numbers 13: Moses sends twelve spies to search the land of Canaan—Ten of them bring an evil report, telling only of the strength of the inhabitants.
Numbers 14: Israel murmurs and speaks of returning to Egypt—Joshua and Caleb give a good report of Canaan—Moses mediates between Israel and the Lord—The adults of Israel will not enter the promised land—The Lord slays the false spies by a plague—Some rebels try to go alone and are slain by the Amalekites and Canaanites.
Numbers 20: Miriam dies—Moses smites a rock at Meribah and brings forth water—The king of Edom refuses to let Israel pass peacefully through his land—Aaron dies, and Eleazar becomes the high priest.
Numbers 21: The children of Israel destroy those Canaanites who fight against them—The Israelites are plagued with fiery serpents—Moses lifts up a serpent of brass to save those who look thereon—Israel defeats the Amorites, destroys the people of Bashan, and occupies their lands.
Numbers 22: Balak offers money, cattle, and great honors to Balaam to curse Israel—The Lord forbids Balaam to do so—An angel opposes Balaam on the way.
Numbers 23: The Lord commands Balaam to bless Israel—He does so, saying, Who can count the dust of Jacob? and, What hath God wrought!
Numbers 24: Balaam sees in vision and prophesies of the destiny of Israel—He prophesies of the Messiah: There will come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre will rise out of Israel.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- “Jesus, the Very Thought of Thee,” Hymns, no. 141.
- Chapter 22: Forty Years in the Wilderness
- Old Testament Seminary Student Material: Lesson 65: Numbers 1–12
- Old Testament Seminary Student Material: Lesson 66: Numbers 13–14
- Old Testament Seminary Student Material: Lesson 67: Numbers 15–19
- Old Testament Seminary Student Material: Lesson 68: Numbers 20–21
- Old Testament Seminary Student Material: Lesson 69: Numbers 22–36
- Old Testament Study Guide for Home-Study Seminary Students: Unit 13: Day 1, Numbers 1–10
- Old Testament Study Guide for Home-Study Seminary Students: Unit 13: Day 2, Numbers 11–12
- Old Testament Study Guide for Home-Study Seminary Students: Unit 13: Day 3, Numbers 13–14
- Old Testament Study Guide for Home-Study Seminary Students: Unit 13: Day 4, Numbers 15–21
- Old Testament Study Guide for Home-Study Seminary Students: Unit 14: Day 1, Numbers 22–36
- Old Testament Institute Student Manual Genesis-2 Samuel: Numbers 1–12: Wilderness Wanderings, Part 1
- Old Testament Institute Student Manual Genesis-2 Samuel: Numbers 13–36: Wilderness Wanderings, Part 2
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- KnoWhy OTL18A — Did Joshua “Utterly Destroy” the Canaanites?, Jeffrey M. Bradshaw, May 10, 2018
- KnoWhy OTL16A — Have There Been Any Latter-Day Parallels to Balaam’s Blessing?, Jeffrey M. Bradshaw, April 26, 2018
- KnoWhy OTL15A — How Do the Serpent and the Shewbread Symbolize Christ?, Jeffrey M. Bradshaw, April 19, 2018
- KnoWhy OTL14B — What Were Israel’s Most Serious Provocations of the Lord in the Wilderness?, Jeffrey M. Bradshaw, April 18, 2018
- Scripture Roundtable: Old Testament Gospel Doctrine Lesson 16, “I Cannot Go Beyond the Word of the Lord”, Administration, April 7, 2014
- Lehi, Joseph, and the Kingdom of Israel, Richley Crapo, September 27, 2019
- Sorting Out the Sources in Scripture, Jeffrey M. Bradshaw, April 4, 2014
Resources on Other Sites
- Breaking the Chains of Sin, Elder H. Ross Workman of the Seventy, Ensign, July 2006
- Numbers 13-36: Wilderness Wanderings, Part 2, LDS Old Testament Student Manual
- Prophets, Kings, and Swords: The Sword of Laban and Its Possible Pre-Laban Origin, Daniel N. Rolph, Journal of Book of Mormon Studies
- Serpent Symbols and Salvation in the Ancient Near East and the Book of Mormon, Andrew C. Skinner, Journal of Book of Mormon Studies, Volume 10, no. 2
- The Provocation in the Wilderness and the Rejection of Grace, M. Catherine Thomas, Sperry Symposium Classics: The Old Testament
- The Whole Meaning of the Law: Christ’s Vicarious Sacrifice, Jennifer C. Lane, The Gospel of Jesus Christ in the Old Testament