President M. Russell Ballard taught: “I invite you to thoroughly and thoughtfully read [Doctrine and Covenants 138]. As you do so, may the Lord bless you to more fully understand and appreciate God’s love and His plan of salvation and happiness for His children” (“The Vision of the Redemption of the Dead,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2018, 73).
D&C 137: A vision given to Joseph Smith the Prophet, in the temple at Kirtland, Ohio, January 21, 1836. The occasion was the administration of ordinances in preparation for the dedication of the temple.
D&C 138: A vision given to President Joseph F. Smith in Salt Lake City, Utah, on October 3, 1918. In his opening address at the 89th Semiannual General Conference of the Church, on October 4, 1918, President Smith declared that he had received several divine communications during the previous months. One of these, concerning the Savior’s visit to the spirits of the dead while His body was in the tomb, President Smith had received the previous day. It was written immediately following the close of the conference. On October 31, 1918, it was submitted to the counselors in the First Presidency, the Council of the Twelve, and the Patriarch, and it was unanimously accepted by them.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- “Search, Ponder, and Pray,” Children’s Songbook, 109.
- Section 137, Vision of the Celestial Kingdom, Doctrine and Covenants Institute Student Manual (2002), pp 353–56
- Section 138, Vision of the Redemption of the Dead, Doctrine and Covenants Institute Student Manual (2002), pp 353–56
- Chapter 55: Doctrine and Covenants 137–38, Doctrine and Covenants Institute Student Manual (2017)
- Righteous Desires, Doctrine and Covenants Teaching Videos, Elder Neal A. Maxwell
- “A House for Our God”, Revelations in Context
- Susa Young Gates and the Vision of the Redemption of the Dead , Revelations in Context
- The Dead Awaited the Atonement, Doctrine and Covenants Teaching Videos, Elder Russell M. Nelson
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- “The Kingdoms of Glory”: D&C 76; 131; 132:19-24; 137, Taylor Halverson, December 7, 2013
- Scripture Roundtable: D&C Gospel Doctrine Lesson 20, "The Kingdoms of Glory", Administration, June 16, 2017
- Scripture Roundtable: D&C Gospel Doctrine Lesson 35, "A Mission of Saving", Administration, August 2, 2017
- Scripture Roundtable: D&C Gospel Doctrine Lesson 39, "The Hearts of the Children Shall Turn to Their Fathers", Administration, September 7, 2013
- Scripture Roundtable: Old Testament Gospel Doctrine Lesson 2, "Thou Wast Chosen Before Thou Wast Born", Administration, December 22, 2013