President Ezra Taft Benson taught that when we study the scriptures, “testimonies will increase. Commitment will be strengthened. Families will be fortified. Personal revelation will flow” (“The Power of the Word,” Ensign, May 1986, 81).
D&C 60: Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, in Independence, Jackson County, Missouri, August 8, 1831. On this occasion the elders who had traveled to Jackson County and participated in the dedication of the land and the temple site desired to know what they were to do.
D&C 61: Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, on the bank of the Missouri River, McIlwaine’s Bend, August 12, 1831. On their return trip to Kirtland, the Prophet and ten elders had traveled down the Missouri River in canoes. On the third day of the journey, many dangers were experienced. Elder William W. Phelps, in a daylight vision, saw the destroyer riding in power upon the face of the waters.
D&C 62: Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, on the bank of the Missouri River at Chariton, Missouri, August 13, 1831. On this day the Prophet and his group, who were on their way from Independence to Kirtland, met several elders who were on their way to the land of Zion, and, after joyful salutations, received this revelation.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- “Testimony,” Hymns, no. 137.
- Chapter 22: Doctrine and Covenants 59–62, Doctrine and Covenants Institute Student Manual (2017)
- Ezra Booth and Isaac Morley, Revelations in Context
- Section 60, “Thou Shalt Not Idle Away Thy Time nor Bury Thy Talents”, Doctrine and Covenants Institute Student Manual (2002), pp 130–31
- Section 61, The Lord Has Blessed the Land and Cursed the Waters, Doctrine and Covenants Institute Student Manual (2002), pp 131–32
- Section 62, “Ye Are Blessed, for the Testimony Ye Have Borne”, Doctrine and Covenants Institute Student Manual (2002), pp 132–33
- “The Power of the Word”, President Ezra Taft Benson, Ensign, May 1986, 81
- Doctrine and Covenants 52:10
- Matthew 25:14–30
- Doctrine and Covenants 33:8–10
- Doctrine and Covenants 103:9–10
- “Missionary Work: Sharing What Is in Your Heart”, Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Ensign or Liahona, May 2019, 15–18
- Saints, 1:133–34
- Ether 2:18–25
- Doctrine and Covenants 58:27–28
- John 16:33
- “Testimony”, Hymns, no. 137
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- “Thou Knowest That I Believe”: Invoking The Spirit of the Lord as Council Witness in 1 Nephi 11, David E. Bokovoy, July 31, 2012