While it is true that God’s ways are higher than ours and we should always submit to His will, He also encourages us to think and act for ourselves. That’s one lesson Jared and his brother learned. For example, the idea of traveling to a new land that was “choice above all the earth” seemed to start with Jared, and the Lord granted the request, saying to the brother of Jared, “Thus I will do unto thee because this long time ye have cried unto me” (see Ether 1:38–43). And when the brother of Jared needed light inside the barges that would carry them to their promised land, the Lord asked a question that we usually ask Him: “What will ye that I should do?” (Ether 2:23). He wants to hear our thoughts and ideas, and He will listen and give His confirmation or counsel us otherwise. Sometimes the only thing separating us from the blessings we seek is our own “veil of unbelief,” and if we can “rend that veil” (Ether 4:15), we may be surprised by what the Lord is willing to do for us.
Ether 1: Moroni abridges the writings of Ether—Ether’s genealogy is set forth—The language of the Jaredites is not confounded at the Tower of Babel—The Lord promises to lead them to a choice land and make them a great nation.
Ether 2: The Jaredites prepare for their journey to a promised land—It is a choice land whereon men must serve Christ or be swept off—The Lord talks to the brother of Jared for three hours—The Jaredites build barges—The Lord asks the brother of Jared to propose how the barges will be lighted.
Ether 3: The brother of Jared sees the finger of the Lord as He touches sixteen stones—Christ shows His spirit body to the brother of Jared—Those who have a perfect knowledge cannot be kept from within the veil—Interpreters are provided to bring the Jaredite record to light.
Ether 4: Moroni is commanded to seal up the writings of the brother of Jared—They will not be revealed until men have faith even as the brother of Jared—Christ commands men to believe His words and those of His disciples—Men are commanded to repent, believe the gospel, and be saved.
Ether 5: Three witnesses and the work itself will stand as a testimony of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon.
- Interpreter Radio: The Book of Mormon in Context Lesson 46
- Come, Follow Me Study and Teaching Helps — Lesson 44: Ether 1-5, Jonn Claybaugh
- Audio Roundtable: Come, Follow Me Book of Mormon Lesson 44 (Ether 1-5)
- Coming Down and Bringing Down: Pejorative Onomastic Allusions to the Jaredites in Helaman 6:25, 6:38, and Ether 2:11, by Matthew L. Bowen, Feb 12, 2021
- Overwriting Ether: Moroni’s Transfiguration of Jaredite Scripture, by David J. Larsen, Feb 25, 2022
- Giving the Book of Ether its Proper Due, by Brant A. Gardner, May 7, 2021
- What Did the Interpreters (Urim and Thummim) Look Like?, Stan Spencer, September 6, 2019
- The Record of My Father, Clifford P. Jones, April 12, 2019
- “Thou Knowest That I Believe”: Invoking The Spirit of the Lord as Council Witness in 1 Nephi 11, David E. Bokovoy, July 31, 2012
- Scripture Roundtable: Book of Mormon Gospel Doctrine Lesson 45, “Never Has Man Believed in Me As Thou Hast”, December 4, 2016
- Scripture Roundtable: Book of Mormon Gospel Doctrine Lesson 1, “The Keystone of Our Religion”, November 8, 2015
- Ether 1 to 5 – “Rend That Veil of Unbelief”, BYU Studies
- Rending the Veil of Unbelief, BYU Religious Studies Center
- The Plates of Ether and the Covenant of the Book of Mormon, BYU Religious Studies Center
- Jared and His Brother, BYU Religious Studies Center
- The Mission of Jesus Christ—Ether 3 and 4:2, BYU Religious Studies Center
- “The Knowledge Hid Up Because of Unbelief” , BYU Religious Studies Center
- Ether 1-5, John W. Welch Notes
- Why Did Jesus Say, “Never Have I Showed Myself unto Man”?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #584
- How Were Jonah and the Brother of Jared Able to Find Comfort?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #526
- Why Does the Book of Ether Begin with Such a Long Genealogy?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #235
- Where Does the Word "Deseret" Come From?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #236
- Why Did Moroni Use Temple Imagery While Telling the Brother of Jared Story?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #237
- Why Do So Many of Mormon’s Teachings Appear in Ether 4 and 5?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #239
- Is There Evidence That Joseph Smith Possessed a Urim and Thummim and Breastplate?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #409
- Why Were Three Key Witnesses Chosen to Testify of the Book of Mormon?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #267
- Discussions on the Book of Mormon – Ether 1-6