Like Jesus’s disciples who gathered to hear the Sermon on the Mount in Galilee, the people who gathered at the temple in Bountiful had lived the law of Moses. They had followed it because it pointed their souls to Christ (see Jacob 4:5), and now Christ stood before them, declaring a higher law. But even those of us who have never lived the law of Moses can recognize that the standard Jesus set for His disciples is a high one. “I would that ye should be perfect,” He declared (3 Nephi 12:48). If this makes you feel inadequate, remember that Jesus also said, “Blessed are the poor in spirit who come unto me, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven” (3 Nephi 12:3). This higher law is an invitation—another way of saying “Come unto me and be ye saved” (3 Nephi 12:20). Like the law of Moses, this law points us to Christ—the only One who can save and perfect us. “Behold,” He said, “I am the law, and the light. Look unto me, and endure to the end, and ye shall live” (3 Nephi 15:9).
3 Nephi 12: Jesus calls and commissions the twelve disciples—He delivers to the Nephites a discourse similar to the Sermon on the Mount—He speaks the Beatitudes—His teachings transcend and take precedence over the law of Moses—Men are commanded to be perfect even as He and His Father are perfect—Compare Matthew 5. About A.D. 34.
3 Nephi 13: Jesus teaches the Nephites the Lord’s Prayer—They are to lay up treasures in heaven—The twelve disciples in their ministry are commanded to take no thought for temporal things—Compare Matthew 6. About A.D. 34.
3 Nephi 14: Jesus commands: Judge not; ask of God; beware of false prophets—He promises salvation to those who do the will of the Father—Compare Matthew 7. About A.D. 34.
3 Nephi 15: Jesus announces that the law of Moses is fulfilled in Him—The Nephites are the other sheep of whom He spoke in Jerusalem—Because of iniquity, the Lord’s people in Jerusalem do not know of the scattered sheep of Israel. About A.D. 34.
3 Nephi 16: Jesus will visit others of the lost sheep of Israel—In the latter days the gospel will go to the Gentiles and then to the house of Israel—The Lord’s people will see eye to eye when He brings again Zion. About A.D. 34.
- Interpreter Radio: The Book of Mormon in Context Lesson 40
- Come, Follow Me Study and Teaching Helps — Lesson 38: 3 Nephi 12-16, Jonn Claybaugh
- Audio Roundtable: Come, Follow Me Book of Mormon Lesson 38 (3 Nephi 12-16)
- “This Great Mystery”: Gathering Still Other Sheep through the New Covenant of Peace, by Matthew Scott Stenson, July 15, 2022
- Labor Diligently to Write: The Ancient Making of a Modern Scripture — Chapter 16: 3 Nephi Chapters V-VII (11–16), Brant A. Gardner
- “Come unto Me” as a Technical Gospel Term, Noel B. Reynolds, January 4, 2019
- Dissenters: Portraying the Church as Wrong So They can be Right Without It, Brian C. Hales, May 9, 2014
- Interpreting Interpreter: Mysterious Sheep, by Kyler Rasmussen, Jul 15, 2022
- Scripture Roundtable: Book of Mormon Gospel Doctrine Lesson 40, “Then Will I Gather Them In”, October 11, 2016
- Scripture Roundtable: Book of Mormon Gospel Doctrine Lesson 38, “Old Things Are Done Away, and All Things Have Become New”, October 2, 2016
- Scripture Roundtable: Book of Mormon Gospel Doctrine Lesson 39, “Behold, My Joy Is Full” (2012), October 24, 2012
- Scripture Roundtable: Book of Mormon Gospel Doctrine Lesson 38, “Old Things Are Done Away, and All Things Have Become New” (2012), October 13, 2012
- Come, Follow Me—Home and Church: Book of Mormon 2024, Lesson 40
- Jesus Christ Teaches and Gives Power to Baptize | 3 Nephi 11–12
- Jesus Christ Teaches How to Live the Higher Law | 3 Nephi 12–14
- Jesus Christ Testifies of One Fold and One Shepherd | 3 Nephi 15–16
- 3 Nephi 12 to 16 – “I Am the Law, and the Light” , BYU Studies
- Active Learning and the Savior’s Nephite Ministry, BYU Religious Studies Center
- 3 Nephi 12-16, John W. Welch Notes
- How Can We Walk Perfectly Along the Covenant Path?, Book of Mormon Central
- Why Must We Beware Wolves in Sheep’s Clothing?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #527
- What Does It Mean to Be Perfect?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #335
- Why Did Jesus Deliver a Version of the Sermon on the Mount at the Temple in Bountiful?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #203
- Why Is the Lord’s Prayer Different in 3 Nephi?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #204
- What Makes 3 Nephi the Holy of Holies of the Book of Mormon?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #206
- Why Did Jesus Say that Some Well-Intentioned People Will Be Told to Depart?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #205
- Why Did Jesus Say That There Were "Other Sheep" Who Would Hear His Voice?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #207
- Why is the Sermon at the Temple Echoed throughout the Rest of 3 Nephi?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #208
- Discussions on the Book of Mormon – 3 Nephi 12
- Discussions on the Book of Mormon – 3 Nephi 13-14
- Discussions on the Book of Mormon – 3 Nephi 15, 17
- Discussions on the Book of Mormon – 3 Nephi 16, 20-22