The first time Samuel the Lamanite tried to share “glad tidings” in Zarahemla (Helaman 13:7), he was rejected and cast out by the hard-hearted Nephites. You might say it was as if they had built an impenetrable wall around their hearts that prevented them from receiving Samuel’s message. Samuel understood the importance of the message he bore and demonstrated faith by following God’s commandment “that he should return again, and prophesy” (Helaman 13:3). Like Samuel, we all encounter walls as we “prepare the way of the Lord” (Helaman 14:9) and strive to follow His prophets. And like Samuel, we too bear witness of Jesus Christ, “who surely shall come,” and invite all to “believe on his name” (Helaman 13:6; 14:13). Not everyone will listen, and some may actively oppose us. But those who believe in this message with faith in Christ find that it truly is a message of “glad tidings of great joy” (Helaman 16:14).
Helaman 13: Samuel the Lamanite prophesies the destruction of the Nephites unless they repent—They and their riches are cursed—They reject and stone the prophets, are encircled about by demons, and seek for happiness in doing iniquity. About 6 B.C.
Helaman 14: Samuel predicts light during the night and a new star at Christ’s birth—Christ redeems men from temporal and spiritual death—The signs of His death include three days of darkness, the rending of the rocks, and great upheavals of nature. About 6 B.C.
Helaman 15: The Lord chastened the Nephites because He loved them—Converted Lamanites are firm and steadfast in the faith—The Lord will be merciful unto the Lamanites in the latter days. About 6 B.C.
Helaman 16: The Nephites who believe Samuel are baptized by Nephi—Samuel cannot be slain with the arrows and stones of the unrepentant Nephites—Some harden their hearts, and others see angels—The unbelievers say it is not reasonable to believe in Christ and His coming in Jerusalem. About 6–1 B.C.
- Interpreter Radio: The Book of Mormon in Context Lesson 37
- Come, Follow Me Study and Teaching Helps — Lesson 35: Helaman 13-16, Jonn Claybaugh
- Audio Roundtable: Come, Follow Me Book of Mormon Lesson 35 (Helaman 13-16)
- “According to the Spirit of Revelation and Prophecy”: Alma2’s Prophetic Warning of Christ’s Coming to the Lehites (and Others), by Matthew Scott Stenson, Feb 10, 2023
- “If Ye Believe on His Name”: Wordplay on the Name Samuel in Helaman 14:2, 12–13 and 3 Nephi 23:9 and the Doctrine of Christ in Samuel’s Speech, by Matthew L. Bowen, Jul 2, 2021
- Labor Diligently to Write: The Ancient Making of a Modern Scripture — Chapter15: Helaman Chapter V (13–16), Brant A. Gardner
- Samuel the Lamanite, Christ, and Zenos: A Study of Intertextuality, Quinten Barney, January 29, 2016
- The Doctrine of Resurrection in the Book of Mormon, A. Keith Thompson, July 31, 2015
- “The Time is Past”: A Note on Samuel’s Five-Year Prophecy, Neal Rappleye, May 18, 2018
- The Time of Sin, Joseph M. Spencer, March 21, 2014
- Scripture Roundtable: Book of Mormon Gospel Doctrine Lesson 35, “Repent and Return unto the Lord”, September 15, 2016
- Helaman 13 to 16 – “Glad Tidings of Great Joy”, BYU Studies
- The Atonement of Jesus Christ—“Glad Tidings of Great Joy”, BYU Religious Studies Center
- Samuel and his Nephite Sources, BYU Religious Studies Center
- Helaman 13-16, John W. Welch Notes
- How Are Samuel the Lamanite and the Biblical Prophet Samuel Similar?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #576
- Samuel the Lamanite, President Nelson, and COVID-19, Book of Mormon Central
- Why Did Samuel Say the Wealth of Some Nephites Would Become “Slippery”?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #539
- What Does the Book of Mormon Teach about Prophets?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #284
- Why Did Samuel Make Such Chronologically Precise Prophecies?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #184
- How Can People Today Avoid Being Destroyed Like the Nephites Were?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #327
- Why did Samuel Rely So Heavily on the Words of Past Prophets?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #185
- How Does the Book of Mormon Help Date Christ’s Death?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #300
- Why Did Samuel Say the Lord "Hated" the Lamanites?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #186
- Why Does Mormon State that "˜Angels Did Appear unto Wise Men’?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #187
- Discussions on the Book of Mormon – Helaman 13-16