God’s work will not fail. But our efforts to help with His work sometimes seem to fail—at least, we may not immediately see the outcomes we hope for. We might feel a little like Alma when he preached the gospel in Ammonihah—rejected, spit on, and cast out. Yet when an angel instructed him to go back and try again, Alma courageously “returned speedily” (Alma 8:18), and God prepared the way before him. Not only did He provide Alma with food to eat and a place to stay, but He also prepared Amulek, who became a fellow laborer, a fierce defender of the gospel, and a faithful friend. When we face setbacks and disappointments as we serve in the Lord’s kingdom, we can remember how God supported and led Alma, and we can trust that God will support and lead us too, even in difficult circumstances.
Alma 8: Alma preaches and baptizes in Melek—He is rejected in Ammonihah and leaves—An angel commands him to return and cry repentance unto the people—He is received by Amulek, and the two of them preach in Ammonihah. About 82 B.C.
Alma 9: Alma commands the people of Ammonihah to repent—The Lord will be merciful to the Lamanites in the last days—If the Nephites forsake the light, they will be destroyed by the Lamanites—The Son of God will come soon—He will redeem those who repent, are baptized, and have faith in His name. About 82 B.C.
Alma 10: Lehi descended from Manasseh—Amulek recounts the angelic command that he care for Alma—The prayers of the righteous cause the people to be spared—Unrighteous lawyers and judges lay the foundation of the destruction of the people. About 82 B.C.
Alma 11: The Nephite monetary system is set forth—Amulek contends with Zeezrom—Christ will not save people in their sins—Only those who inherit the kingdom of heaven are saved—All men will rise in immortality—There is no death after the Resurrection. About 82 B.C.
Alma 12: Alma speaks to Zeezrom—The mysteries of God can be given only to the faithful—Men are judged by their thoughts, beliefs, words, and works—The wicked will suffer a spiritual death—This mortal life is a probationary state—The plan of redemption brings to pass the Resurrection and, through faith, a remission of sins—The repentant have a claim on mercy through the Only Begotten Son. About 82 B.C.
- Interpreter Radio: The Book of Mormon in Context Lesson 25
- Come, Follow Me Study and Teaching Helps — Lesson 23: Alma 8-12, Jonn Claybaugh
- Audio Roundtable: Come, Follow Me Book of Mormon Lesson 23 (Alma 8-12)
- A Lucrative Pun on Zeezrom (Alma 10-11), Hales Swift
- Labor Diligently to Write: The Ancient Making of a Modern Scripture — Chapter 14: Alma Chapters VI-IX (8-12), Brant A. Gardner
- The Possibility of Janus Parallelism in the Book of Mormon, Jeff Lindsay, January 5, 2018
- The Doctrine of Resurrection in the Book of Mormon, A. Keith Thompson, July 31, 2015
- A Nickname and a Slam Dunk: Notes on the Book of Mormon Names Zeezrom and Jershon, Stephen D. Ricks, January 31, 2014
- In His Footsteps: Ammon₁ and Ammon₂, Val Larsen, January 11, 2013
- Scripture Roundtable: Book of Mormon Gospel Doctrine Lesson 23, “More Than One Witness”, June 11, 2016
- Come, Follow Me—Home and Church: Book of Mormon 2024, Lesson 25
- Alma and Amulek Are Delivered by the Power of God | Alma 8–15
- How Does Developing a Soft Heart Help Us Gain Spiritual Knowledge? (Ensign Weekly Book of Mormon Insights)
- Alma 8–12 (Ensign Support Articles and Activities)
- We’ll Bring the World His Truth, Children’s Songbook, 172–73
- Alma 8 to 12 – Jesus Christ Will Come to Redeem His People , BYU Studies
- The Probationary Nature of Mortality, BYU Religious Studies Center
- Ammonihah: Measuring Mormon’s Purposes, BYU Religious Studies Center
- Alma 8-12, John W. Welch Notes
- Why Did an Angel Send Alma Back to Ammonihah?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #565
- The Nephite System of Currency in Alma 11 and Connections to Ancient America, Book of Mormon Central
- Why Did Alma Bless and Thank God After Eating? , Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #115
- What does it Mean to "Prosper in the Land"?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #116
- Why is Amulek’s Household Significant?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #117
- Why Would Zeezrom Attempt to Bribe Amulek?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #118
- Why You Should Care About the Nephite Weights and Measures System, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #322
- Why Did Alma Teach His Opponents about the Temple?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #119
- Discussions on the Book of Mormon – Alma 8-12