As you study 1 Nephi 16–22, look for passages that impress you. Some people like to highlight such verses in their scriptures; others write notes in the margins. Consider how you will record the impressions you receive.
1 Nephi 16: The wicked take the truth to be hard—Lehi’s sons marry the daughters of Ishmael—The Liahona guides their course in the wilderness—Messages from the Lord are written on the Liahona from time to time—Ishmael dies; his family murmurs because of afflictions. About 600–592 B.C.
1 Nephi 17: Nephi is commanded to build a ship—His brethren oppose him—He exhorts them by recounting the history of God’s dealings with Israel—Nephi is filled with the power of God—His brethren are forbidden to touch him, lest they wither as a dried reed. About 592–591 B.C.
1 Nephi 18: The ship is finished—The births of Jacob and Joseph are mentioned—The company embarks for the promised land—The sons of Ishmael and their wives join in revelry and rebellion—Nephi is bound, and the ship is driven back by a terrible tempest—Nephi is freed, and by his prayer the storm ceases—The people arrive in the promised land. About 591–589 B.C.
1 Nephi 19: Nephi makes plates of ore and records the history of his people—The God of Israel will come six hundred years from the time Lehi left Jerusalem—Nephi tells of His sufferings and crucifixion—The Jews will be despised and scattered until the latter days, when they will return unto the Lord. About 588–570 B.C.
1 Nephi 20: The Lord reveals His purposes to Israel—Israel has been chosen in the furnace of affliction and is to go forth from Babylon—Compare Isaiah 48. About 588–570 B.C.
1 Nephi 21: The Messiah will be a light to the Gentiles and will free the prisoners—Israel will be gathered with power in the last days—Kings will be their nursing fathers—Compare Isaiah 49. About 588–570 B.C.
1 Nephi 22: Israel will be scattered upon all the face of the earth—The Gentiles will nurse and nourish Israel with the gospel in the last days—Israel will be gathered and saved, and the wicked will burn as stubble—The kingdom of the devil will be destroyed, and Satan will be bound. About 588–570 B.C.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Nephi’s Courage, Children’s Songbook, 120–21
- The Lord Guides Lehi’s Journey (Book of Mormon Videos)
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- KnoWhy OTL18A — Did Joshua “Utterly Destroy” the Canaanites?, Jeffrey M. Bradshaw, May 10, 2018
- Scripture Roundtable: Book of Mormon Gospel Doctrine Lesson 4, “The Things Which I Saw While I Was Carried Away in the Spirit”, November 19, 2015
- Scripture Roundtable: Book of Mormon Gospel Doctrine Lesson 5, “Hearken to the Truth, and Give Heed unto It”, November 19, 2015
- Scripture Roundtable: Book of Mormon Gospel Doctrine Lesson 1, “The Keystone of Our Religion”, November 8, 2015
- Musings on the Making of Mormon's Book: 1 Nephi 19:1-21, Brant A. Gardner, May 24, 2014
- Musings on the Making of Mormon’s Book: 1 Nephi 18, Brant A. Gardner, May 17, 2014
- Musings on the Making of Mormon's Book: 1 Nephi 17, Brant A. Gardner, February 15, 2014
- Musings on the Making of Mormon's Book: 1 Nephi 16, Brant A. Gardner, January 12, 2014
- Musings on the Making of Mormon’s Book: Preliminary: Nephi as Author, Brant A. Gardner, July 4, 2013
- The Language of the Spirit in the Book of Mormon, Noel B. Reynolds, August 30, 2019
- Shazer: An Etymological Proposal in Narrative Context, Matthew L. Bowen, July 12, 2019
- “By Small Means”: Rethinking the Liahona, Timothy Gervais and John L. Joyce, November 16, 2018
- “If Ye Will Hearken”: Lehi’s Rhetorical Wordplay on Ishmael in 2 Nephi 1:28–29 and Its Implications, Matthew L. Bowen, May 19, 2017
- On Doubting Nephi’s Break Between 1 and 2 Nephi: A Critique of Joseph Spencer’s An Other Testament: On typology, Noel B. Reynolds, April 28, 2017
- Meeting Zoram, Collin Charles Russell, March 3, 2017
- Deuteronomy 17:14–20 as Criteria for Book of Mormon Kingship, Taylor Halverson, February 24, 2017
- “Their Anger Did Increase Against Me”: Nephi’s Autobiographical Permutation of a Biblical Wordplay on the Name Joseph, Matthew L. Bowen, December 30, 2016
- Nephi’s Use of Inverted Parallels, Dennis Newton, October 7, 2016
- Nephi’s Change of Heart, Dennis Newton, June 17, 2016
- Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Map: Part 1 of 2, Jeff Lindsay, April 8, 2016
- Nice Try, But No Cigar: A Response to Three Patheos Posts on Nahom (1 Nephi 16:34), S. Kent Brown, April 1, 2016
- Samuel the Lamanite, Christ, and Zenos: A Study of Intertextuality, Quinten Barney, January 29, 2016
- The Deuteronomist Reforms and Lehi’s Family Dynamics: A Social Context for the Rebellions of Laman and Lemuel, Neal Rappleye, July 24, 2015
- Nephi: A Postmodernist Reading, Benjamin L. McGuire, September 5, 2014
- Book of Mormon Minimalists and the NHM Inscriptions: A Response to Dan Vogel, Neal Rappleye and Stephen O. Smoot, January 24, 2014
- Some Notes on Book of Mormon Names, Stephen D. Ricks, April 19, 2013
Resources on Other Sites
- Why Did Nephi Include the Story of the Broken Bow?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #421
- Who Called Ishmael’s Burial Place Nahom?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #19
- Why Did Nephi Say Serpents Could Fly?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #316
- Has the Location of Nephi’s Bountiful Been Discovered?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #259
- Why Would Nephi Call the Ocean Irreantum"?", Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #20
- How Was Nephi Similar to Joseph of Egypt?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #416
- Did Ancient People Sail the Seas?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #21
- What Kind of Ore did Nephi Use to Make the Plates?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #22
- Why Did Zenos Quote from Psalm 46 in His Prophecy of Christ’s Death?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #313
- Why Did Book of Mormon Prophets Quote Long Passages of Scripture?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #473
- How Might Isaiah 48-49 be Likened" to Lehi’s Family?", Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #23
- How is the Phrase Make a Record" an Evidence for the Book of Mormon? ", Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #444
- What Counts as Chiasmus?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #337
- What is the Day of the Gentiles?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #44
- Who is the Servant of Isaiah 49/1 Nephi 21?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #24
- Whom Did Nephi Quote in 1 Nephi 22?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #25