As you study Alma 23–29, what messages do you find for yourself and your family? What can you share in your Church classes?
Alma 23: Religious freedom is proclaimed—The Lamanites in seven lands and cities are converted—They call themselves Anti-Nephi-Lehies and are freed from the curse—The Amalekites and the Amulonites reject the truth. About 90–77 B.C.
Alma 24: The Lamanites come against the people of God—The Anti-Nephi-Lehies rejoice in Christ and are visited by angels—They choose to suffer death rather than to defend themselves—More Lamanites are converted. About 90–77 B.C.
Alma 25: Lamanite aggressions spread—The seed of the priests of Noah perish as Abinadi prophesied—Many Lamanites are converted and join the people of Anti-Nephi-Lehi—They believe in Christ and keep the law of Moses. About 90–77 B.C.
Alma 26: Ammon glories in the Lord—The faithful are strengthened by the Lord and are given knowledge—By faith men may bring thousands of souls unto repentance—God has all power and comprehends all things. About 90–77 B.C.
Alma 27: The Lord commands Ammon to lead the people of Anti-Nephi-Lehi to safety—Upon meeting Alma, Ammon’s joy exhausts his strength—The Nephites give the Anti-Nephi-Lehies the land of Jershon—They are called the people of Ammon. About 90–77 B.C.
Alma 28: The Lamanites are defeated in a tremendous battle—Tens of thousands are slain—The wicked are consigned to a state of endless woe; the righteous attain a never-ending happiness. About 77–76 B.C.
Alma 29: Alma desires to cry repentance with angelic zeal—The Lord grants teachers for all nations—Alma glories in the Lord’s work and in the success of Ammon and his brethren. About 76 B.C.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- For Health and Strength, Children’s Songbook, 21
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- Labor Diligently to Write: The Ancient Making of a Modern Scripture — Chapters 14 & 15, Brant A. Gardner
- Compassion as the Heart of the Gospel, Daniel C. Peterson, July 5, 2019
- Too Little or Too Much Like the Bible? A Novel Critique of the Book of Mormon Involving David and the Psalms, Jeff Lindsay, May 25, 2018
- “He Did Go About Secretly”: Additional Thoughts on the Literary Use of Alma’s Name, Matthew L. Bowen, November 24, 2017
- The Small Voice, Daniel C. Peterson, November 25, 2016
- The Ammonites Were Not Pacifists, Duane Boyce, June 17, 2016
- “They Were Moved with Compassion” (Alma 27:4; 53:13): Toponymic Wordplay on Zarahemla and Jershon, Matthew L. Bowen, February 19, 2016
- A Nickname and a Slam Dunk: Notes on the Book of Mormon Names Zeezrom and Jershon, Stephen D. Ricks, January 31, 2014
- Nephite insights into Israelite Worship Practices before the Babylonian Captivity, A. Keith Thompson, February 1, 2013
- In His Footsteps: Ammon₁ and Ammon₂, Val Larsen, January 11, 2013
Resources on Other Sites
- Come Follow Me 2020: Alma 23-29, Book of Mormon Central
- Why Did Converted Lamanites Call Themselves Anti-Nephi-Lehies?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #131
- What is the Symbolism of the Stained Swords of the Anti-Nephi-Lehies?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #132
- Why Does God Sometimes Send Angels to Help People?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #360
- Where Can You Best Learn about God’s Plan of Salvation?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #272
- Why Did Ammon Borrow So Much from Tradition in Alma 26?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #133
- Why Was Jershon Called a Land of Inheritance?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #134
- Why were the People of Ammon Exempted from Military Duty?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #274
- Why Is David Whitmer’s Witness of the Book of Mormon So Compelling?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #395
- Why Did Fasting and Prayer Accompany Nephite Mourning?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #135
- Why Did Alma Wish to Speak "with the Trump of God"?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #136
- Why Was Alma’s Wish Sinful? , Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #137
- Was Chiasmus Known to Ancient American Writers?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #346