As you read Alma 17–22, record impressions that come to you and act on them. Doing so will show the Lord your willingness to receive more personal revelation.
Alma 17: An account of the sons of Mosiah, who rejected their rights to the kingdom for the word of God, and went up to the land of Nephi to preach to the Lamanites; their sufferings and deliverance—according to the record of Alma.
Alma 18: King Lamoni supposes that Ammon is the Great Spirit—Ammon teaches the king about the Creation, God’s dealings with men, and the redemption that comes through Christ—Lamoni believes and falls to the earth as if dead. About 90 B.C.
Alma 19: Lamoni receives the light of everlasting life and sees the Redeemer—His household falls into a trance, and many see angels—Ammon is preserved miraculously—He baptizes many and establishes a church among them. About 90 B.C.
Alma 20: The Lord sends Ammon to Middoni to deliver his imprisoned brethren—Ammon and Lamoni meet Lamoni’s father, who is king over all the land—Ammon compels the old king to approve the release of his brethren. About 90 B.C.
Alma 21: Aaron teaches the Amalekites about Christ and His Atonement—Aaron and his brethren are imprisoned in Middoni—After their deliverance, they teach in the synagogues and make many converts—Lamoni grants religious freedom to the people in the land of Ishmael. About 90–77 B.C.
Alma 22: Aaron teaches Lamoni’s father about the Creation, the Fall of Adam, and the plan of redemption through Christ—The king and all his household are converted—The division of the land between the Nephites and the Lamanites is explained. About 90–77 B.C.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- I Want to Be a Missionary Now, Children’s Songbook, 168
- Alma 26:23–25
- Mosiah 28:3
- On the Lord’s Errand: The Life of Thomas S. Monson
- Sharing the Restored Gospel, Elder Dallin H. Oaks, Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2016, 57–60
- Dare to Stand Alone
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- Labor Diligently to Write: The Ancient Making of a Modern Scripture — Chapters 14 & 15, Brant A. Gardner
- The Record of My Father, Clifford P. Jones, April 12, 2019
- The Amlicites and Amalekites: Are They the Same People?, Benjamin McMurtry, June 23, 2017
- Apostate Religion in the Book of Mormon, A. Keith Thompson, May 26, 2017
- “If Ye Will Hearken”: Lehi’s Rhetorical Wordplay on Ishmael in 2 Nephi 1:28–29 and Its Implications, Matthew L. Bowen, May 19, 2017
- Nephi’s Good Inclusio, Matthew L. Bowen, November 20, 2015
- Father Is a Man: The Remarkable Mention of the Name Abish in Alma 19:16 and Its Narrative Context, Matthew L. Bowen, February 6, 2015
- Nephite insights into Israelite Worship Practices before the Babylonian Captivity, A. Keith Thompson, February 1, 2013
- In His Footsteps: Ammon₁ and Ammon₂, Val Larsen, January 11, 2013
Resources on Other Sites
- Come Follow Me 2020: Alma 17-22, Book of Mormon Central
- How Does the Book of Mormon Use an Ancient Storytelling Technique?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #414
- Why Did the Servants Present Lamoni with the Arms of His Enemies?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #125
- What is the Nature and Use of Chariots in the Book of Mormon?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #126
- Why Was Abish Mentioned by Name?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #127
- What Can We Learn From Abish’s Member-missionary Work?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #374
- What Does the Abish Story Signal About the Resurrection?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #449
- Why Did Nephite Authors Use Repetitive Resumption?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #415
- Why Are People Exhausted by Powerful Spiritual Experiences?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #460
- What Did it Mean to be "King Over All the Land"?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #128
- Why Did Mormon Include Flashbacks in His Narrative?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #129
- Why Did Mormon Give So Many Details About Geography?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #130