Stories in the scriptures can often teach us multiple spiritual lessons. As you read about the Great Flood and the Tower of Babel, seek inspiration about how these accounts apply to you.
Genesis 6: The sons of God marry the daughters of men—Men turn to wickedness, the earth is filled with violence, and all flesh is corrupted—The Flood is promised—God establishes His covenant with Noah, who builds an ark to save his family and various living things.
Genesis 7: Noah’s family and various beasts and fowl enter the ark—The Flood comes, and water covers the whole earth—All other life that breathes is destroyed.
Genesis 8: The Flood ceases—Noah sends forth a dove, which returns with an olive leaf—He releases all living things from the ark—He offers sacrifices—Seedtime, harvest, and seasons are ensured.
Genesis 9: Noah and his sons are commanded to multiply and fill the earth—They are given dominion over all forms of life—The death penalty is decreed for murder—God will not again destroy the earth by a flood—Canaan is cursed; Shem and Japheth are blessed.
Genesis 10: The descendants of Noah are Japheth, whose descendants are Gentiles; Ham, whose descendants include the Canaanites; and Shem, of whom came Peleg (in whose days the earth was divided).
Genesis 11: All men speak the same language—They build the Tower of Babel—The Lord confounds their language and scatters them over all the earth—The generations of Shem include Abram, whose wife is Sarai—Abram leaves Ur and settles in Haran.
Moses 8: Methuselah prophesies—Noah and his sons preach the gospel—Great wickedness prevails—The call to repentance is unheeded—God decrees the destruction of all flesh by the Flood.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- “Follow the Prophet,” Children’s Songbook, 110–11 (verse 3).
- Chapter 06: Noah
- Chapter 07: The Tower of Babel
- Old Testament Seminary Student Material: Lesson 19: Moses 8 (Genesis 6:1–12)
- Old Testament Seminary Student Material: Lesson 20: Genesis 6:13–9:29
- Old Testament Seminary Student Material: Lesson 22: Genesis 10–11; Abraham 1
- Old Testament Study Guide for Home-Study Seminary Students: Unit 4: Day 1, Moses 8; Genesis 6
- Old Testament Study Guide for Home-Study Seminary Students: Unit 4: Day 2, Genesis 6:13–9:29
- Old Testament Institute Student Manual Genesis-2 Samuel: Genesis 4–11: The Patriarchs
- The Pearl of Great Price Institute Student Manual: Moses 8
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- Book of Moses Bibliography, Interpreter Foundation
- Book of Moses Essays, Book of Mormon Central Staff, Jeffrey M. Bradshaw, and others, July 12, 1905
- Introduction to the Book of Moses, Book of Mormon Central Staff and Jeffrey M. Bradshaw, May 2, 2020
- Book of Moses FAQ, Book of Mormon Central Staff and Jeffrey M. Bradshaw, May 9, 2020
- Enoch, the Book of Moses, and the Book of Giants, S. Kent Brown, May 17, 2021
- Essay #77: Noah (Moses 8): Was Noah Drunk or in a Vision? (Genesis 9), Book of Mormon Central Staff and Jeffrey M. Bradshaw, 16, 2021
- Essay #76: Noah (Moses 8): Was Noah’s Ark Designed as a Floating Temple? (Moses 8:22–30; Genesis 6:5–22; chapters 7–8), Book of Mormon Central Staff and Jeffrey M. Bradshaw, 9, 2021
- Essay #75: Noah (Moses 8): The Sons of God and the Sons of Men (Moses 8:1-21), Book of Mormon Central Staff and Jeffrey M. Bradshaw, 2, 2021
- In God’s Image and Likeness 2 — Genesis 11: The Tower of Babel, Administration, April 27, 2020
- In God’s Image and Likeness 2 — Genesis 10: The Generation of the Sons of Noah, Administration, April 20, 2020
- In God’s Image and Likeness 2 — Genesis 9: Glory, Fall, and Judgment, Administration, April 13, 2020
- In God’s Image and Likeness 2 — Genesis 8: A New Creation, A New Covenant, Administration, April 6, 2020
- In God’s Image and Likeness 2 — Genesis 7: The Flood, Administration, March 30, 2020
- In God’s Image and Likeness 2 — Moses 8:1-30; Genesis 6:14-22: Noah and the Ark, Administration, March 23, 2020
- KnoWhy OTL06C — What Was All the Confusion About at the Tower of Babel?, Jeffrey M. Bradshaw, February 5, 2018
- Jeffrey M. Bradshaw — A Tower Of Literary Beauty: Wordplay and Chiasmus in the Story of Babel, Jeffrey M. Bradshaw, February 5, 2018
- KnoWhy OTL06B — Was Noah Drunk or in a Vision?, Jeffrey M. Bradshaw, February 1, 2018
- KnoWhy OTL06A — Was Noah’s Ark Designed As a Floating Temple?, Jeffrey M. Bradshaw, January 29, 2018
- Symbolism in the Bible and the Flood with Paul Hoskisson, LDS Perspectives, January 17, 2018
- “Noah…Prepared an Ark to the Saving of His House” Moses 8:19-30; Genesis 6-9; 11:1-9, Taylor Halverson, July 5, 2013
- Scripture Roundtable: Old Testament Gospel Doctrine Lesson 6, “Noah … Prepared an Ark to the Saving of His House”, Administration, January 28, 2014
- The Ark and the Tent: Temple Symbolism in the Story of Noah, Jeffrey M. Bradshaw, March 29, 2021
- The Lives of Abraham: Seeing Abraham through the Eyes of Second-Temple Jews, Taylor Halverson, May 31, 2019
- A Modern Translation of Genesis 1–11 in the Traditional Sense, Dominic Kent, September 29, 2017
- “This Son Shall Comfort Us”: An Onomastic Tale of Two Noahs, Matthew L. Bowen, February 3, 2017
- Enoch and Noah on Steroids, Bryan Buchanan, January 3, 2014
- The Brass Plates Version of Genesis, Noel B. Reynolds, October 15, 2019
- Sorting Out the Sources in Scripture, Jeffrey M. Bradshaw, April 4, 2014
- The Case for the Documentary Hypothesis, Historical Criticism, and the Latter-day Saints, Colby J. Townsend, April 4, 2014
- The Status of Women in Old Testament Marriage, Noel B. Reynolds, March 23, 2018
- Lehi’s Dream and the Garden of Eden, David M. Calabro, August 25, 2017
- The Scale of Creation in Space and Time, John S. Lewis, November 27, 2013
- An Early Christian Context for the Book of Moses, David M. Calabro, September 20, 2021
- Mormon, Moses, and the Representation of Reality, Richard L. Bushman, August 16, 2021
- Adam, Eve, the Book of Moses, and the Temple: The Story of Receiving Christ’s Atonement, Bruce C. Hafen and Marie K. Hafen, July 19, 2021
- Scriptures through the Jeweler’s Lens, Mark J. Johnson, February 28, 2020
Resources on Other Sites
- How Does The Book of Mormon Use a Hebrew Pun on King Noah's Name?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #406, February 8, 2018
- “All Things Denote There is a God”: Seeing Christ in the Creation, Bruce A. Roundy and Robert J. Norman, Religious Educator
- Insights into the Book of Genesis, George A. Horton Jr., The Joseph Smith Translation: The Restoration of Plain and Precious Truths
- Jared and His Brother, Thomas R. Valletta, Fourth Nephi, From Zion to Destruction
- Major Doctrinal Contributions of the JST, Robert J. Matthews, The Joseph Smith Translation: The Restoration of Plain and Precious Truths