Consider how your study of Proverbs and Ecclesiastes can help you “incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding” (Proverbs 2:2).
Proverbs 1: The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge—If sinners entice you, do not consent—Those who hearken to wisdom will dwell safely.
Proverbs 2: The Lord gives wisdom, knowledge, and understanding—Walk in the way of good men.
Proverbs 3: Write mercy and truth upon the tablet of your heart—Trust in the Lord—Honor Him with your substance—Whom the Lord loves He corrects—Happy is the man who finds wisdom.
Proverbs 4: Keep the commandments and live—With all your getting, get understanding—Go not in the way of evil men.
Proverbs 15: A soft answer turns away wrath—A wise son makes a glad father—The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the Lord—Before honor comes humility.
Proverbs 16: It is better to get wisdom than gold—Pride goes before destruction—The gray hair of the righteous person is a crown of glory.
Proverbs 22: A good name is better than riches—Train up a child in the way he should go.
Proverbs 31: Wine and strong drink are condemned—Plead the cause of the poor and needy—A virtuous woman is more precious than rubies.
Ecclesiastes 1: Everything under the sun is vanity and vexation of spirit—He who increases in knowledge increases in sorrow.
Ecclesiastes 2: All the riches and wealth of the king are vanity and vexation of spirit—Wisdom is better than folly—God gives wisdom, knowledge, and joy to man.
Ecclesiastes 3: To every thing there is a season—Whatever God does, it will be forever—God will judge the righteous and the wicked.
Ecclesiastes 11: Do good and give to them who need—God will bring all men to judgment.
Ecclesiastes 12: At death the spirit will return to God who gave it—The words of the wise are as goads—The whole duty of man is to fear God and keep His commandments.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- “Where Love Is,” Children’s Songbook, 138–39.
- Old Testament Seminary Student Material: Lesson 116: Proverbs 1–30
- Old Testament Seminary Student Material: Introduction to the Book of Ecclesiastes
- Old Testament Seminary Student Material: Lesson 118: Proverbs 31; Ecclesiastes; Song of Solomon
- Old Testament Study Guide for Home-Study Seminary Students: Unit 23: Day 3, Proverbs
- Old Testament Study Guide for Home-Study Seminary Students: Introduction to Ecclesiastes
- Old Testament Study Guide for Home-Study Seminary Students: Unit 23: Day 4, Ecclesiastes; Song of Solomon
- Old Testament Institute Student Manual Kings-Malachi: Proverbs, Ecclesiastes “Wisdom is the Principal Thing; Therefore Get Wisdom
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- Come, Follow Me Study and Teaching Helps — Lesson 36: Proverbs 1–4; 15–16; 22; 31; Ecclesiastes 1–3; 11–12, Jonn Claybaugh
- Audio Roundtable: Come, Follow Me Old Testament Lesson 36 (Proverbs 1–4; 15–16; 22; 31; Ecclesiastes 1–3; 11–12)
- Wisdom Literature with Dan Belnap, LDS Perspectives, July 25, 2018
- Scripture Roundtable: Old Testament Gospel Doctrine Lesson 31, “Happy Is the Man That Findeth Wisdom”, Administration, July 30, 2014
- The Character and Knowledge of Mary, the Mother of Christ, A. Keith Thompson, March 6, 2020
Resources on Other Sites
- Proverbs 1–4; 15–16 What Can We Do to “Incline [Our] Ear unto Wisdom”?, Liahona – Come, Follow Me: Old Testament
- Come, Follow Me Week 36 – Proverbs 1–4; 15–16; 22; 31; Ecclesiastes 1–3; 11–12, FAIR
- Book & Chapter Guide: The Book of Proverbs, Bible Central
- Book & Chapter Guide: The Book of Ecclesiastes, Bible Central
- PART 1 | Proverbs | Aug 29-Sep 4 | Come Follow Me Insights, Book of Mormon Central
- PART 2 | Proverbs | Aug 29-Sep 4 | Come Follow Me Insights, Book of Mormon Central
- Appreciating the Women in Your Life (Come, Follow Me: Proverbs), Book of Mormon Central
- Understanding the Book of Proverbs (Come, Follow Me: Proverbs), Book of Mormon Central
- Treasure in the Book of Proverbs (Come, Follow Me: Proverbs), Book of Mormon Central
- Learning Words of Wisdom (Come, Follow Me: Proverbs), Book of Mormon Central
- What Does It Mean to “Apply Your Heart to Understanding”?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #644
- Come Follow Me Old Testament Proverbs 1-31; Ecclesiastes 1-12 (Aug. 29-Sept. 4) Don’t Miss This, Don’t Miss This
- Come Follow Me – The Book of Proverbs: “The Beginning of Wisdom”, Unshaken
- Come Follow Me – Ecclesiastes & Song of Solomon: “To Everything There Is a Season”, Unshaken
- “The Fear of the Lord Is the Beginning of Wisdom”—Come Follow Me Podcast #36: Proverbs, Meridian Magazine
- Proverbs 1–4; 15–16; 22; 31; Ecclesiastes 1–3; 11–12 – “The Fear of the Lord Is the Beginning of Wisdom”, BYU Studies
- “Wisdom” (Philosophy) in the Holy Bible, David H. Yarn Jr., BYU Studies, Volume 13, no. 1
- All Things in Wisdom and Order, John C. Taggart, Ensign, August 2010
- How did proverbs come to be—and how were they used in olden times?, Keith H. Meservy, Ensign, October 1973
- The Word and the Seed: The Theological Use of Biblical Creation in Alma 32, David E. Bokovoy, Journal of Book of Mormon Studies 23 (2014): 1–21