As you read Doctrine and Covenants 124, ponder the blessings the Lord invited the Saints in Nauvoo to receive and the blessings He offers you.
D&C 124: Revelation given to Joseph Smith the Prophet, at Nauvoo, Illinois, January 19, 1841. Because of increasing persecutions and illegal procedures against them by public officers, the Saints had been compelled to leave Missouri. The exterminating order issued by Lilburn W. Boggs, governor of Missouri, dated October 27, 1838, had left them no alternative. In 1841, when this revelation was given, the city of Nauvoo, occupying the site of the former village of Commerce, Illinois, had been built up by the Saints, and here the headquarters of the Church had been established.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- “I Love to See the Temple,” Children’s Songbook, 95.
- Temples Bless the Living and the Dead, Doctrine and Covenants Teaching Videos, Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin
- Section 124, A Solemn Proclamation: The Priesthood Order Is Established, Doctrine and Covenants Institute Student Manual (2002), pp 304–11
- Chapter 48: Doctrine and Covenants 124, Doctrine and Covenants Institute Student Manual (2017)
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- Scripture Roundtable: D&C Gospel Doctrine Lesson 29, "Building the Kingdom of God in Nauvoo, Illinois", Administration, June 16, 2017
- Scripture Roundtable: D&C Gospel Doctrine Lesson 30, "The Prisoners Shall Go Free", Administration, June 25, 2017
- Dissenters: Portraying the Church as Wrong So They can be Right Without It, Brian C. Hales, May 9, 2014
- Joseph Smith and the Doctrine of Sealing, A. Keith Thompson, July 8, 2016