For some, Christmas can be a hectic time. Consider how your study of the New Testament can help bring a spirit of peace and sacredness into your life. Ponder the influence of the Savior’s birth and mission on your life, and record any spiritual impressions that come.
Matthew 1: Christ is born of Mary—She conceives by the power of the Holy Ghost—Our Lord is named Jesus.
Matthew 2: The wise men are directed by a star to Jesus—Joseph takes the child to Egypt—Herod slays the children in Bethlehem—Jesus is taken to Nazareth to dwell.
Luke 1: Gabriel promises Zacharias that Elisabeth will bear a son, whom they will name John—He also tells Mary that she will be the mother of the Son of God—Mary visits Elisabeth and utters a psalm of praise—John the Baptist is born—Zacharias prophesies of John’s mission.
Luke 2: Heavenly messengers herald the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem—He is circumcised, and Simeon and Anna prophesy of His mission—At twelve years of age, He goes about His Father’s business.
Lesson Manuals on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary
Additional Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- An Angel Foretells Christ’s Birth to Mary (Luke 1:26-38)
- The Nativity (Luke 1:26-38; 2:1-19; Matthew 1:20-21)
- Mary, the Mother of Jesus (Luke 1:26-35)
- Glad Tidings of Great Joy: The Birth of Jesus Christ (Luke 2:1-20)
- Mary and Joseph Travel to Bethlehem (Luke 2:4-7)
- Shepherds Learn of the Birth of Christ (Luke 2:8-18)
- The Wise Men Seek Jesus (Matthew 2:1-2,11-15)
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- There are Many Witnesses to the Birth of Christ, Hales Swift
- Matthew 1 and Luke 1. Testimonies of Jesus, Taylor Halverson
- The Psalm of Mary, or Mary’s Magnificat, Taylor Halverson
- No Room for an Inn
- Scripture Roundtable: New Testament Gospel Doctrine Lesson 2, “My Soul Doth Magnify the Lord”
- Scripture Roundtable: New Testament Gospel Doctrine Lesson 3, “Unto You Is Born … a Saviour”
- Christmastime: When Our Souls Can Sing, Jenny Oaks Baker
- The Song I Cannot Sing, Sharon Eubank
- “He Did It”: A Christmas Message, Clayton M. Christensen
- Christmas Is About a Baby, Orson Scott Card
- The Christmas Quest, Hugh Nibley