As you read the Epistle of James, pay attention to phrases that stand out to you, and record them. How are you prompted to live these truths?
James 1: If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God—Resist temptation—Be doers of the word—James explains how to recognize pure religion.
James 2: God has chosen the poor of this world who are rich in faith—Salvation is gained by keeping the whole law—Faith without works is dead.
James 3: By governing the tongue, we gain perfection—Heavenly wisdom is pure, peaceable, and full of mercy.
James 4: Wars are born of lusts—The friends of the world are the enemies of God—Sin is failure to walk in the light we have received.
James 5: Misery awaits the wanton rich—Await the Lord’s coming with patience—The elders are to anoint and heal the sick.
Lesson Manuals on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary
- Come, Follow Me—Support (Ensign Articles and Activities at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
Additional Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- Audio Roundtable: Come, Follow Me New Testament Lesson 45 (James)
- Faith without Works in James 2, Hales Swift
- Scripture Roundtable: New Testament Gospel Doctrine Lesson 42, “Pure Religion”
- James. Exhort and Encourage, Taylor Halverson
- Book Review: Forgery and Counterforgery: The Use of Literary Deceit in Early Christian Polemics, by Bart D. Ehrman, Robert S. Boylan
- “Creator of the First Day”: The Glossing of Lord of Sabaoth in D&C 95:7, Matthew L. Bowen
- Come Follow Me: James, Book of Mormon Central
- James Treasured the Words of the Lord, His Brother, Book of Mormon Central
- Come Follow Me – James, Book of Mormon Central Archive
- Come Follow Me James (Nov. 18-24), Don’t Miss This
- Come Follow Me Podcast #45 – “Be Ye Doers of the Word, and Not Hearers Only”, James, Meridian Magazine
- James – “Be Ye Doers of the Word, and Not Hearers Only”, BYU Studies
- “Come, Follow Me” November 18–24: “Be Ye Doers of the Word, and Not Hearers Only”, LDS Living
- “Come, Follow Me” FHE: Why Is Temptation Necessary?, LDS Living