As you read Matthew 13 and Luke 8; 13, think about how you will prepare yourself to “hear” and appreciate the Savior’s teachings in these parables. What will you do to apply these teachings in your life?
Matthew 13: Jesus explains why He teaches with parables—He gives the parables of the sower, the wheat and the tares, the grain of mustard seed, the leaven, the treasure hidden in the field, the pearl of great price, and the net cast into the sea—A prophet is not honored by his own people.
Luke 8: Jesus gives and interprets the parable of the sower—He stills the tempest; casts out a legion of devils, who then enter the swine; heals a woman of an issue of blood; and raises Jairus’s daughter from death.
Luke 13: Jesus teaches, Repent or perish—He gives the parable of the barren fig tree, heals a woman on the Sabbath, and likens the kingdom of God to a mustard seed—He discusses whether few or many are saved and laments over Jerusalem.
Lesson Manuals on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary
Additional Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Parable of the Sower (Matthew 13:1-23)
- Jesus Declares the Parable of the Wheat and the Tares (Matthew 13:36-43)
- The Kingdom of Heaven (Matthew 13:44-51)
- Jesus Declares the Parable of the Wheat & Tares, Mustard Seed, and Leaven (Matthew 13)
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- The Parable of the Sower, Hales Swift
- The Sower, a poem by Hales Swift
- Audio Roundtable: Come, Follow Me New Testament Lesson 12
- Scripture Roundtable: New Testament Gospel Doctrine Lesson 10, “Take My Yoke upon You, and Learn of Me”
- Scripture Roundtable: New Testament Gospel Doctrine Lesson 11, “He Spake Many Things unto Them in Parables”
- Matthew 11 and Luke 7, 11-13. Coming Unto Christ and Learning of Him, Taylor Halverson
- Come Follow Me 2019: Matthew 13; Luke 8, 13, Book of Mormon Central
- How the Plan of Salvation Helps Us Understand the Parables of Jesus (Book Interview), Book of Mormon Central
- Why Did Christ Perform Miracles? Knowhy #508 , Book of Mormon Central
- The Parables of Jesus: the Plan of Salvation Revealed (Interview John and Jeannie Welch), Book of Mormon Central
- Come Follow Me: Matthew 13, Don’t Miss This
- Come, Follow Me for Individuals and Families: Lesson Helps for Matthew 13; Luke 8; 13, Meridian Magazine
- Come Follow Me –Podcast 12–“Who Hath Ears to Hear, Let Him Hear”, Matthew 13: Luke 8: 13, Meridian Magazine
- Matthew 13; Luke 8, 13, BYU Studies