Speaking of the Jaredite record, Mormon commented that “it is expedient that all people should know the things which are written in this account” (Mosiah 28:19). Keep this in mind as you read Ether 6–11. Why are these things expedient—or beneficial—to you and your loved ones?
Ether 6: The Jaredite barges are driven by the winds to the promised land—The people praise the Lord for His goodness—Orihah is appointed king over them—Jared and his brother die.
Ether 7: Orihah reigns in righteousness—Amid usurpation and strife, the rival kingdoms of Shule and Cohor are set up—Prophets condemn the wickedness and idolatry of the people, who then repent.
Ether 8: There is strife and contention over the kingdom—Akish forms an oath-bound secret combination to slay the king—Secret combinations are of the devil and result in the destruction of nations—Modern Gentiles are warned against the secret combination that will seek to overthrow the freedom of all lands, nations, and countries.
Ether 9: The kingdom passes from one to another by descent, intrigue, and murder—Emer saw the Son of Righteousness—Many prophets cry repentance—A famine and poisonous serpents plague the people.
Ether 10: One king succeeds another—Some of the kings are righteous; others are wicked—When righteousness prevails, the people are blessed and prospered by the Lord.
Ether 11: Wars, dissensions, and wickedness dominate Jaredite life—Prophets predict the utter destruction of the Jaredites unless they repent—The people reject the words of the prophets.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- I Thank Thee, Dear Father, Children’s Songbook, 7
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- Gentiles in the Book of Mormon, John Hilton III, September 20, 2019
- Gazelem the Jaredite, Elliott Jolley, October 13, 2017
- “The Great and Terrible Judgments of the Lord”: Destruction and Disaster in 3 Nephi and the Geology of Mesoamerica, Neal Rappleye, May 29, 2015
- Getting Cain and Gain, Matthew L. Bowen, May 22, 2015
Resources on Other Sites
- Where did the Brother of Jared Get the Idea of Shining Stones?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #240
- Is the Book of Mormon Musical?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #500
- Why Is The Book of Ether an Epic?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #241
- Why Did Moroni Comment So Much Throughout Ether?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #242
- Why Did Snakes Infest Jaredite Lands During a Famine?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #243
- Why Did Riplakish Construct a Beautiful Throne?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #244
- Why Does the Book of Mormon Include the Rise and Fall of Two Nations?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #245