The book of Ether is the record of the Jaredites, who arrived in the promised land centuries before the Nephites. God inspired Moroni to include Ether’s record in the Book of Mormon because of its relevance to our day. How do you feel it is relevant to your life?
Ether 1: Moroni abridges the writings of Ether—Ether’s genealogy is set forth—The language of the Jaredites is not confounded at the Tower of Babel—The Lord promises to lead them to a choice land and make them a great nation.
Ether 2: The Jaredites prepare for their journey to a promised land—It is a choice land whereon men must serve Christ or be swept off—The Lord talks to the brother of Jared for three hours—The Jaredites build barges—The Lord asks the brother of Jared to propose how the barges will be lighted.
Ether 3: The brother of Jared sees the finger of the Lord as He touches sixteen stones—Christ shows His spirit body to the brother of Jared—Those who have a perfect knowledge cannot be kept from within the veil—Interpreters are provided to bring the Jaredite record to light.
Ether 4: Moroni is commanded to seal up the writings of the brother of Jared—They will not be revealed until men have faith even as the brother of Jared—Christ commands men to believe His words and those of His disciples—Men are commanded to repent, believe the gospel, and be saved.
Ether 5: Three witnesses and the work itself will stand as a testimony of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon.
Resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Sunday School (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Come, Follow Me—For Primary (lesson materials at ChurchofJesusChrist.org)
- Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes, Children’s Songbook, 275
- Revelation for the Church, Revelation for Our Lives, President Russell M. Nelson, Ensign or Liahona, May 2018, 96
- Moses 7:4, 59
- Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, Christ and the New Covenant , 23
Resources on Interpreter Foundation
- Gentiles in the Book of Mormon, John Hilton III, September 20, 2019
- What Did the Interpreters (Urim and Thummim) Look Like?, Stan Spencer, September 6, 2019
- The Record of My Father, Clifford P. Jones, April 12, 2019
- “Thou Knowest That I Believe”: Invoking The Spirit of the Lord as Council Witness in 1 Nephi 11, David E. Bokovoy, July 31, 2012
Resources on Other Sites
- Rending the Veil of Unbelief, BYU Religious Studies Center
- The Plates of Ether and the Covenant of the Book of Mormon, BYU Religious Studies Center
- Jared and His Brother, BYU Religious Studies Center
- The Mission of Jesus Christ—Ether 3 and 4:2, BYU Religious Studies Center
- “The Knowledge Hid Up Because of Unbelief” , BYU Religious Studies Center
- Why Does the Book of Ether Begin with Such a Long Genealogy?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #235
- Where Does the Word "Deseret" Come From?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #236
- How Were Jonah and the Brother of Jared Able to Find Comfort?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #526
- Why Did Moroni Use Temple Imagery While Telling the Brother of Jared Story?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #237
- Why Do So Many of Mormon’s Teachings Appear in Ether 4 and 5?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #239
- Is There Evidence That Joseph Smith Possessed a Urim and Thummim and Breastplate?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #409
- Why Were Three Key Witnesses Chosen to Testify of the Book of Mormon?, Book of Mormon Central KnoWhy #267